Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Sound and contrast controls on Duo 250 (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:22 pm

I just recieved a PowerBook Duo today in almost pristine condition with the exception of the contrast and brightness buttons not working and the internal speaker giving no sound at all regardless of what I do with the sound and volume settings. I was wondering if if anyone would have any ideas or suggestions that don't require taking the computer apart to find the bad wire.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:28 pm

Both the internal speaker and the contrast/brightness buttons run off the same ribbon cable, that is likely torn.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Would there be any place to get one of these if that is the case? I did a search for PowerBook Duo on eBay earlier but didn't find much.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Oh, also, since it can't hurt to ask, the greyscale TFT on my PowerBook Duo is acting sorta funny. When I first turn on the computer everything looks great but then after about 5 or so minutes the screen starts to darken around the corners and after 10 or so minutes there is black all around the screen and objects in that area have inverted color and the screen is only normal towards the center. What could be causing this?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:48 pm

Geez this Duo of yours is sounding less and less pristine. Hmm... I don't know it could be a number of things. It is probably not a bad backlight. Most likely circuitry within the LCD bezel (since you say the speaker and brightness controls do not work as well).

Maybe just replace the upper half with a new one? You know, if you find a Duo 2300c motherboard on eBay you can just toss that in, it's an exact replacement and will give you PowerPC. I see them from time to time.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Yeah, the pristine part really only applies to the looks as this thing doesn't even have a scratch on it. Main reason I bought this was because I only had to pay $10 + shipping for it (eBay) and I've always liked playing around with these older Macs (they have so much more personality than the G4s and newer) but I'm thinking I might just try to get ahold of a Duo 2300c or a PowerBook 2400c and sell this one on eBay or throw it in my museum or give it away.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.