Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Server software on Macs (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Blåtann (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:43 am

Wonder if anybody have server experience on sys 7.x

I figure that an old Mac (classic os) makes a splendid server as it´s not the best for internet use anymore (old browsers).
Iv´e tried WebStar a long time ago but think WebTen works best as a webserver with standard perl/php support.

Heck, it should be called a MAMP (as in LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySql, Php) or a MAP (excluding the MySql).

However, this is the one way to show eachotherour Macs...

Go to dyndns.org and setup your own domains folks!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:23 am

Heh, that first sentence almost made me chuckle. Scroll all the way to the bottom of every page here at S7T and click the "7.6 Powered" badge.

Blåtann (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:50 am

Yes i did see the mark on the bottom.
Although if i run a http header check on the subdomain for this forum (forums.system7today.com) i find that it´s an Apache server running on *nix...
(For the domain "system7today.com", it´s a Mac)

I was actually asking for some elaborated experience from people on this forum.
Your experiences is apreciated and so is others.

Blåtann (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:01 pm

And for anybody who care to setup other servers with dyndns.org domains, here is an updater:

http://www.sentman.com/dyndns/

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Yes, as it says on the 7.6 Powered page...

Mac OS 7 makes a great operating system for use as a file, web, and ftp server. In fact, all of the pages and images on this site (except the PHP-based forums) are hosted on a Power Mac 8100 running Mac OS 7.6.1. This server runs AppleShare IP 5 server software, which is commercial grade server software from Apple.

Opinions of it? Well, if the uptime tracker on that page is any indication, the server is performing very well. The Power Mac hosting the site has been online for nearly a month now, without restarting. The only time it is down is when the Comcast goes out.

The forums are hosted by Dreamhost, as I didn't think the 8100 was up to the task of generating content on the fly for this site.

Blåtann (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Any good forum scripts that runs well on a Mac?

AppleScript based or any other konveenient technology?

I did find a Mac version of IIS (yes, from M$) on an old magazine cd. It´s a 68k version and it contained a guestbook script.

Quite unstable on my IIsi (20mhz)!

Not sure if i can find it now, it was some time ago.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.