Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: QuickTime 5 Sound and Software Issues (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:06 pm

I downloaded and installed the QuickTime 5 software listed on this site's "Software Guide" onto my PowerBook 1400c and encountered two issues that were not listed on the technical notes on the download page that I thought I'd list here. First off, back up existing copies of your audio and video software as on my machine, the software installer took the liberty of not only deleting my copy of Video Player and WinAmp Mac, it also corrupted the folders they were originally in so I can't do anything with them except move them from place to place on the hard drive (I can't even delete them). Next up is sound; at first, after installing QuickTime, whenever I tried playing audio in other software, the computer would freeze and I'd have to reset the computer. I had to fix the QuickTime SoundManager extension to ix this and have WinAmp functional again.

I was wondering if anyone else around here has used QuickTime 5 and experienced similar issues.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:36 am

Absolutely never experienced anything close to that.

Installing QuickTime can't just "corrupt folders" - there has to be something else wrong. Run Disk First Aid while booted from a Mac OS install CD or floppy (it doesn't matter what OS version).

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:42 pm

The corrupted folders might be coincidence but the sound manager extension was definitley glitching on my laptop. However, it is running OS 8.6 so that might be the issue. I plan on recreating the scenario from the install either under the emulator on my PC under System 7.6 and/or if I have the time, put the old hard drive back in my 1400c to try the situation again with 7.6 to see if the results are the same. As for the audio video software, Winamp and video player were present and working fine and glitch free before install and after install they just disapeared with no trace. Maybe I goofed on something but given the timeframe and the scenario, I really cant imagine how that would be so.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Well if you're running Mac OS 8.6... QuickTime 5 is not the recommended version for you. The files on this site are only intended for use with Mac OS 7.6 and I do no testing or support on any other OS version (I only use Mac OS 7.6 and 10.4).

Go download QuickTime 6.0.3 - that is the latest version for 8.6 I believe: http://www.apple.com/support/d.....ormac.html

Did you try running Disk First Aid like I said?

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:17 pm

I just ran disk first aid from the install cd after booting from that cd and the report said there were two unrepairable errors.

Still, I just can't help but think that the ONLY things being affected in ANY way were my pre-existing AV software apps. Well, I guess that's dead horse now, I'll just see if the same thing happens again when I get my 1400cs.

Thanks for the link to QuickTime 6; I have that installed and is running fine now. However, I had the same exact issues with the sound manager extension for QuickTime 6 that I had with QuickTime 5.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:09 pm

Unrepairable issues generally means physical hard drive failure, or something is so messed up software wise you need to initialize the disk and install a clean OS.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.