Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: CUPS and Laserwriter 8.6 HOWTO (Page 1 of 1)
  signal11 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:04 pm

I was recently looking through the old site and found this How-to for printing to a shared OS X printer from System 7 using Laserwriter 8.6.

As you may know, OS X >= 10.2 uses CUPS behind the scenes for printing, so I figured there was no reason I wouldn't be able to make it print to my print server running CUPS on NetBSD. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought it might be useful for some.

On most systems, CUPS will not support LPD clients by default (Laserwriter 8.6 on System 7 behaves as an LPD client). Fortunately, CUPS comes with cups-lpd, which supports legacy LPD clients and will basically emulate an lpd server, but send the jobs through CUPS.

Since cups-lpd can not run standalone, it must be run from inetd or xinetd. Based on the cups-lpd(8) manual page, you should add the following line to inetd.conf (on the print server of course):

printer stream tcp nowait lp /path/to/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd -o document-format=application/octet-stream

Or if you use xinetd:
service printer
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = lp
group = sys
passenv =
server = /path/to/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream
}

You need to replace the "/path/to/cups/daemon/cups-lpd" with the correct path to cups-lpd on your system. On my print server, since CUPS was installed using pkgsrc, it is located at /usr/pkg/libexec/cups/daemon/cups-lpd . On my slackware boxes, it is located at /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd .

Since it has the document-format set to application/octet-stream, you'll need to comment out the line containing "application/octet-stream" in both mime.convs and mime.types which is located in your CUPS conf dir (/usr/pkg/etc/cups on pkgsrc installations, /etc/cups on my slackware boxes).

Since it's filtering the print jobs, it will make heavy use of ghostscript (I use ghostscript-esp on my print server), it may take some time for the print server to process the job (on my 486 print server, it takes over a minute).

At this point, you'll want to send a SIGHUP signal to inetd for it to reread its configuration file, which can usually be done by using kill -1 [pid of the inetd process] (pkill -1 inetd will work on some systems, as well as killall -1 inetd on Linux). Also doing the same to cupsd is a good idea since mime.convs and mime.types were changed.

Now your CUPS print server will be able to support LPD clients. Client setup on System 7 is the same as shown in the OS X printing How-to.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:40 pm

Very interesting thank you for that.

Of course, the LPD printing how-to on the old site is eventually going to be moved to this new site (along with everything else) once I have the time.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.