Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Great deal on fast Powerbook 1400s (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Pierre Films (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:10 pm

This eBay store has 17 Powerbook 1400cs for a buy-it-now of $24.95 each!
Super deal if you want to pick up a portable System 7 machine for on the go.

FALNIATOM eBay Store - Powerbook 1400cs

Pierre Films Idea

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:55 pm

I just bought one for $17 + shipping. These guys take best offers if you don't like the buy it now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....8813885568

Also note that some have more RAM than others and the OS varies from one to another so make sure you get the one you really want.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:06 pm

Well, I recieved the 1400cs I ordered from one of those linked auctions and although it had some dust on it as well as some tape residue on the lid, it is in overall good shape. Unfortunatley, the one thing they don't list on the auction is the CPU and the one I got turned out to be a 117mhz cacheless model (aargh!) but despite what I've heard on the internet, this computer still performs very nicely under OS 7.5. The lower CPU speed and lack of L2 cache (comparing to my 1400c/133) means that compared to my 1400c, folders take an extra few fractions of a second to open and bootup doesn't go as fast as I'd like to see but I'm actually thinking that these performance issues are actually more due to the slow hard drive than the lack of cache as I had similar performance on my 1400c before upgrading it's hard drive.

The passive matrix screen on this computer is very nice to look at and while not as bright as a TFT, the colors are still able to stand out and I haven't experienced any ghosting yet.

Ifanyone else buys any of these computers, the only thing I'd watch out for before buying is the RAM installed. I'd also try using the "Best Offer" option before using the Buy It Now as I was able to get my 1400cs for $17 using best offer.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:31 pm

I definately recommend upgrading to 7.6.1. It will help with a lot of the issues on a 117. Speed doubler also made a huge improvement. I did the full recommended upgrades on the main site and was glad to see a pb get useful again.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 pm

Unfortunatley, I've lost my 7.6.1 CD so instead, I wiped the hard drive (saving a few software titles that looked useful) and installed OS 8.6 which is what I have on my 1400c/133. While I'm sure 7.6 would run much nicer (my PowerBook Duo 280c w/ 7.6.1 feels speedier than this laptop running 8.6) the computer stills gives pretty respectable performance. If I happen to find my 7.6 CD, I'll try installing that on the computer but since I'm happy enough with the software I now have installed, I'm not going to go out of my way to find the CD.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:49 am

AlphaKilo470 wrote:

Unfortunatley, I've lost my 7.6.1 CD so instead, I wiped the hard drive (saving a few software titles that looked useful) and installed OS 8.6 which is what I have on my 1400c/133. While I'm sure 7.6 would run much nicer (my PowerBook Duo 280c w/ 7.6.1 feels speedier than this laptop running 8.6) the computer stills gives pretty respectable performance. If I happen to find my 7.6 CD, I'll try installing that on the computer but since I'm happy enough with the software I now have installed, I'm not going to go out of my way to find the CD.

I did an istall of 7.6.1 and all of the software I was planning on running on to a spare drive i have lying around and picked up an external 2.5 in usb enclosure put the drive in it. Hooked it up to my Mini made a disk image and saved it to a firewire drive. Now if I have any troubles I just copy the disk image to a freshly formated drive and back into the 1400. Easy install, no need to waste time loading software or trying to find a missing disk.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.