Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: New To Me 2400c (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  LCARS (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:30 pm

I am the proud owner of a remarkably well kept 2400c. I have a few random questions about this machine. The PRAM battery seems to be bad. What type of battery do I need and how do I replace it?

I also have read that it has a real world maximum RAM of 112 via a 90MB DRAM chip. I have not had any luck in finding of these. Has anyone else?

I really like this machine. The rhythmic hum of its 1.3GB '97 HD is quite nice as is its rather unique industrial design. The middle and bottom of the keyboard sound hollow while typing, but I am assuming some torx screws need tightening.

My only real gripe is that the rainbow patterns on the Apple logos are crooked. Well that and it currently has 8.1 loaded- a dubious 8.1 at that. A SCSI cable will fix that. I have a brand new copy of 7.6.1 waiting to be loaded.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 am

I am so Jealous. I have PB 1400's and know their limitations. the 2400c seems to lift them and keep a nice form factor.

Pram battery available here:

http://www.welovemacs.com/b4541.html

If you can filtch the specs, you can probably replace it for cheaper locally.

General specs here:

http://www.everymac.com/system.....c_240.html

and Here:

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/powerbook-2400c.html

Note particularly the warning on the hard drive contoller.

Note: I was able to put a 30 Gb HD in my PB 1400, so your hard drive size can be increased. Also you should be able to go wireless with a Lucent card put out under man many brand names. Do a search for PB 1400 wireless to get some indications ofthe models that will work.

Have fun.

LCARS (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:57 am

Thank you very much for the link, Lichen Software. Yikes, I knew WLMacs was pricey, but wow. Don't be jealous! This just means I have another Mac that needs some money sunk into it. That being said, I do find myself staring at it and showing it off to anyone in my house who will listen.

I have a couple of Orinoco WiFi cards that I'll use, but I have perused the internal card hack (for the Newton, too). When the HD powered down last night, the battery life jumped to 2hrs. I am very tempted to throw an Extreme II Sandisk CF card in the HD bay for silence and battery life. However, I am not sure if I am competent enough to take this one apart. I've been in the guts of a 2300c and 3400c, but they seem simpler than this one. With this resume, do you think I would be able to take a 2400 apart?

128 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:05 am

LCARS wrote:

Thank you very much for the link, Lichen Software. Yikes, I knew WLMacs was pricey, but wow.

Find out the spec and go to a local battery shop. Where I am here in Canada "The Source" sells half AA's at about $25.00. Total Battery was about $9.00.

LCARS wrote:

I have a couple of Orinoco WiFi cards that I'll use, but I have perused the internal card hack (for the Newton, too).

Orinoco cards work well.

LCARS wrote:

When the HD powered down last night, the battery life jumped to 2hrs. I am very tempted to throw an Extreme II Sandisk CF card in the HD bay for silence and battery life.

I put a CFR card in mine and the perception was that it was slower. That is the down side. The up side is it is a cheap second drive either to use as a repository for your full operating system or to put a second operating system on.

LCARS wrote:

However, I am not sure if I am competent enough to take this one apart. I've been in the guts of a 2300c and 3400c, but they seem simpler than this one. With this resume, do you think I would be able to take a 2400 apart?

LOL The question is not can you take it apart, but can you put it back together and not break anything while doing it. If you can find all of the parts you want (Assuming you will spend lots of money here):

RAM
Larger Hard drive
Accelerator

It might be a good idea to just bring the machine and parts into a local dealer and pay the hour or so that it will take.

Alternatively, google is your friend and look for tear apart diagrams. The Apple site may also be your friend.

A larger hard drive can be partitioned and you can run 7.6.1 and 8.6 (especially if you get an accelerator and RAM). 7.6.1, especially as upgraded from this site is really fast. 8.6 allows you to use Classilla for a browser which is pretty much as modern a browser experience as you will get with this machine. I am hoping that they can push Classilla back to 7.6.1 in some form so I can centre on just that system.

Oh - so much fun to be had here

LCARS (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I have not quite figured out how to quote on this forum, so please excuse any formatting errors.

About the compact flash that you used- do you remember its speed? I have read many different reports about read/write speed, but it seems that the Extreme II and III SanDisk cards do a good job. I suppose I could bypass the HD replacement all together and use a ATA flash PCMCIA as the boot disk and have the HD always spun down.

About taking the computer apart: I guess you're right- that's the easy part. I was able to put the other PowerBooks back together successfully, but I'll have to read as many tear down manuals as I can find for this one. I would love to find a G3 accelerator or even the 240Mhz mobo, but I won't hold my breath.

Classilla is interesting. I used iCab on my Kanga, and it worked amazingly well for the sites I went to. It seems that many sites have gone overboard with Flash. Even my G4s don't like it.

You are correct, there is much fun to be had with this computer. Part of which will be to use it to take notes in class and watch the hordes of shiny-screened macbook users look at me as if I just landed from Alpha Centauri.

When you went to your local battery shop, how did you make a new battery? I have zero soldering skills and no electrical skills either.

I can't wait to get this 'Book up to my specs!

128 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:18 am

For CF cards, I just picked up the cheapest I could find. They have come down in price greatly. I Have been hoping that someone would get one of each and benchmark out the performance.

Classilla has been really good. It defaults to having Javascript OFF making it faster on most sites. You turn it on for individual sites and it remembers which ones. It also has a view without style command for particularly troublsome sites.

It says that there are accelerators for this machine. I know that the ones for PB 1400's used are not easy to find, especially fast ones and they are not cheap.

I had one pram battery made up for a StarMax. the original was like a drycell with a pigtail. the guys t the battery shop removed the pigtail and welded three individual cells together and protected all with a shrinkwrap. It has worked well. I doubt that option will work here as space will be at a premium. What you want is a battery shop that has a battery of equivalent spec.

You can get a hard drive for this beastie I am sure. Try Wagener Media. They also are not cheap, but that is where I picked up the 30 Gig for my PB 1400. (a.) a newer drive is faster and (b.) the drive is really the only moving part on this. Given it does not overheat, the rest will last a long long time. So IMHO, a new drive is a really good investment here.

Also a good investment is RAM. Given accelerators willbe hard to come ba=y, maxing out the ram and a faster hard drive will give the best performance.

Just thing, you probably have the first truly finctioning netbook around.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.