An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: New To Me 2400c (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 am

scotthva5 wrote:

Quote:

I did some previous posts about optimizing Netscape using a user.js file. So you can pick up some browsing speed there.

I can confirm that your user.js hack works amazingly well, at least on my PowerBook 5300ce running OT 1.3. This is a must have hack for Netscape 4.8.

LOL - It is not so much a hack as the "way it used to be done". All versions of Mozilla, including Fire Fox now, of which Netscape is one, have a set of preferences that can be accessed by typing in "about:config" in the URL bar. In later versions, including WamCom Mozilla and Classilla, the resulting list is editable by the user. This had not yet been implemented at the time of Netscape as far as I can find.

When I was trying to figure out how to do this, I went searching for documentation on Netscape. It turns out that in its time, it was an enterprise strength suite but was sent out into the wild suitable for the average user who at that point was on dial up. When it was put into an enterprise setting, the IT staff would then "Tune it up". this was done using the user.js file. It must have been quite common as the old versions of BBEdit had a "Save as Netscape Document" option.

scotthva5 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:32 am

While we're on the subject, do you know if 4.08 supports HTTP pipelining? I remember ~back in the day~ when pipelining was an option for the Windows version, which made no difference over dial-up but did speed things up over my company LAN. I can't remember which version of Netscape implemented it though.

I ran a couple of quick and dirty benchmarks using S7T's software updates page and CNN's front page, using a PowerBook 5300ce running 7.6.1, OT 1.3 and WaveLan 6.00.4. In short: load times on a 5300ce were halved using the user.js mod on S7T and an astonishing 3x decrease on CNN. As mentioned elsewhere Open Transport 1.3 does seem to make a difference vs. 1.1.2 in Netscape (seat of the pants opinion, no hard numbers to back that claim up).

128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:38 pm

scotthva5 wrote:

While we're on the subject, do you know if 4.08 supports HTTP pipelining? I remember ~back in the day~ when pipelining was an option for the Windows version, which made no difference over dial-up but did speed things up over my company LAN. I can't remember which version of Netscape implemented it though.

Here is the user.js file I am using right now:

user_pref("network.http.max-connections", 32);
user_pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server",1Cool;
user_pref("network.http.pipelining",true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests",4);
user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load",true);

So I have the connections opened up for high speed, pipelining turned on but I am only letting it go 4 requests ahead.

The last little item is to block popups.

128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Substitute: 18 ) ;
with no spaces for:

1Cool;

and it will work better

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 pm

The stock backup battery in the 2400c consists of three (Varta) V110H cells soldered together. These are not manufactured any longer, but higher-capacity V150H button cells can be used as replacements for the V110H, are readily available, are sold with solder tabs, and are cheap.

The real trouble lies in the dismantling of the machine needed in order to access the cells and replace them. You'll need a good part of an afternoon.

I have also tried putting an 8GB CF card into a 2400c and could not get the PowerBook to recognize the card internally. I gather that others have had better luck, but I did not. This problem was worse than it sounds, as disassembly and reassembly were both required for each of the installation and removal. The trouble was such that I did not try again. I use the CF drive instead in a PCMCIA adapter. It is is not especially fast, truth be told, but is certainly adequate. Power savings, however, are not dramatic while running from the PCMCIA drive. I have a 2hr battery; running from the CF card gives me 2hrs and 15-20 mins.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.