Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: New To Me 2400c (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  LCARS (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:45 pm

It certainly is the size of a (large) netbook, but fortunately it has better build quality and that all-important multi colored logo.

There was an upgraded 2400 on eBay a few weeks ago with a 240Mhz G3 and it went for over $300. I'm not sure 7.6 would even run on a that upgrade chip but I've found dealing with the drama of bidding on antique accelerators is too much for me.

You're right, I'll max out the RAM and load RAM doubler. I have yet to install 7.6 and with its current 8.1, it takes an absurdly long time to start, even with unnecessary extensions disabled. My 200Mhz 3400c with 7.6 takes less than half the time, but I still love this little machine. Being the perfectionist that I am, the top cover has some dull scrapes, so now I'm trying to find a new cover.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:27 am

You will notice a distinct speed bump going to 7.6.1, especially if you do all of the upgrades on this site.

For browsing, you are back at Netscape or IE. I did some previous posts about optomizing Netscape using a user.js file. So you can pick up some browsing speed there.

Putting in perspective though, I looked at the benchmarks for the 2400 and the 1400 lower end PB. You 2400 unchanged is running at almost 300% faster than the low end PB 1400. I put a 333 G3 in my PB 1400 that bumps the original speed up about 800%. That sounds like a lot, but that is only 260 odd percent higher than what you are running. If you do find any accelerator for that machine at all, it will probably match or exceed what I am running here.

LCARS (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 pm

I can't wait to get 7.6.1 on this machine. I am not a fan of this version of OS 8 and I am certainly not a fan of 8 on a machine that was built for 7. I have already downloaded all the upgrades from this site and am looking forward to installing them and doing some hardware upgrades. I'm mentally preparing myself for the chore of replacing the HD with something newer.

That is an amazing speed difference between the 2400 and 1400. I have never used a 1400, but if my 2400 is this slow with 8.1, I couldn't imagine a 1400 with 9.1 (as per MacTracker's statement on the 1400s max OS).

Ah, PowerBook processor upgrades. Those were the days. I love my 17" G4, but I wish planned processor obsolescence was not part of the equation with today's laptops. And now with the netbook craze, I hope we are not setting ourselves up for a future of even more cheaply made computers that will not last beyond three years.

It is remarkable that we are all using computers that are decidedly dated in technological terms, which are still chugging along (sometimes with the original HD and OS install)!

128 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 am

LCARS wrote:

I can't wait to get 7.6.1 on this machine. I am not a fan of this version of OS 8 and I am certainly not a fan of 8 on a machine that was built for 7. I have already downloaded all the upgrades from this site and am looking forward to installing them and doing some hardware upgrades. I'm mentally preparing myself for the chore of replacing the HD with something newer.

7.6 runs really nicely. I run both 7.6 and 8.6 because of (a) browsing and (b) the ability to use ORiNOCO instead of WavLan for the wireless card. Both require 8.6 and up. I use this machine as a utility machine - browsing, email and tunes. It sits in the kitchen and goes to the coffee shop. WavLan won't connect at the coffee shop for some reason (I think it is probably a browser thing as there is a log on and the browser just doesn't run it).

LCARS wrote:

That is an amazing speed difference between the 2400 and 1400. I have never used a 1400, but if my 2400 is this slow with 8.1, I couldn't imagine a 1400 with 9.1 (as per MacTracker's statement on the 1400s max OS).

If you want to have a feeling for the frustration, take your significant other to a movie. Stand in line to get your ticket for a half hour or so. When your turn comes ... Walk away . Think of it as "Time ... Hmmm....Spent"

LCARS wrote:

It is remarkable that we are all using computers that are decidedly dated in technological terms, which are still chugging along (sometimes with the original HD and OS install)!

I think that the average user really does not need much. Browsing, email, tunes and video. The first three can be done fairly well on the old machines. Video is a little harder, especially on machines that are challenged.

That they still run is a testament to the quality of the initial build. For a long time, all of the machines ran SCSI drives. You still find SCSI in high end machines or as an expensive option. Also, I have a friend of mine, much yonger than me, has found the Mac world but entered at the Intel/ OS X/ MacBook stage. I was showing him the PB 1400 one day and the first thing he said was "wow - a real keyboard and a really nice form factor". Good initial design in the computer world is not timeless, but it does slow time down a bit to keep machines useful far longer than was anticipated by the manufacturer.

It also helps a lot that there is a fan base so you see accelerators and sites like this and parts still available.

scotthva5 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 am

Quote:

I did some previous posts about optimizing Netscape using a user.js file. So you can pick up some browsing speed there.

I can confirm that your user.js hack works amazingly well, at least on my PowerBook 5300ce running OT 1.3. This is a must have hack for Netscape 4.8.

128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 am

scotthva5 wrote:

Quote:

I did some previous posts about optimizing Netscape using a user.js file. So you can pick up some browsing speed there.

I can confirm that your user.js hack works amazingly well, at least on my PowerBook 5300ce running OT 1.3. This is a must have hack for Netscape 4.8.

LOL - It is not so much a hack as the "way it used to be done". All versions of Mozilla, including Fire Fox now, of which Netscape is one, have a set of preferences that can be accessed by typing in "about:config" in the URL bar. In later versions, including WamCom Mozilla and Classilla, the resulting list is editable by the user. This had not yet been implemented at the time of Netscape as far as I can find.

When I was trying to figure out how to do this, I went searching for documentation on Netscape. It turns out that in its time, it was an enterprise strength suite but was sent out into the wild suitable for the average user who at that point was on dial up. When it was put into an enterprise setting, the IT staff would then "Tune it up". this was done using the user.js file. It must have been quite common as the old versions of BBEdit had a "Save as Netscape Document" option.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.