Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7 on PowerPook G3 wallstreet (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:42 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

Well, Mac OS 9 is newer and has more features. Mac OS 8 is leaner and faster, but that isn't really relevant on a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet. On that system, Mac OS 9.2.2 will be the best choice.

I don't know.

If you put on 8.6 and put on all of the applicable updates from this site, there is not much it won't run and it will be faster. The G3 processors on these are not that fast but the subsystems appear to be a definite step up from what was before.

I guess it depends on what you are using it for and the minimum system for those particular apps. If mainly for web cruising and email, 8.6 gets you Classilla as a browser. I am not sure on the card bus slots. Mine are PCMCIA and those are CardBus. 8.6 lets you run OiNOCO instead of WavLAN for wireless on mine. Not sure on the Wallstreet.

9.2 was originally recommended only as an adjunct to System X. Not sure if that has changed.

My rule of thumb on older machines - run the odlest system you can that still gives you the functionality you need. Older is usually faster on the same machine.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 pm

On Wallstreets, all the components are significantly faster than previous Kanga/3400c systems. The difference between Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 in terms of speed is pretty much non-existent on those machines, whereas the same could not really be said about Kangas/3400cs.

Mac OS 9 does have more features and greater flexibility, in terms of both compatibility with other system types (like X and Windows) as well as a somewhat wider selection of software to choose from.

I can't think of any reason I would recommend Mac OS 8.x to anybody using a Wallstreet (or anything above that).

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 am

Fair enough.

I have some machines that dual boot. So I have been able to watch the differences in speed in classic versus os x for the same hardware. My perception is that it is about two and a half to one.

I don't know which wallstreet he has, but the earliest one was only a 233 G3 with no L2 cache. Classic in OS 9 flies at 400 Mhz and a cache - about the equivalent to a 1 Ghz machine running OS X. This is really useable on a day to day basis in OS 9. At the lower end of the Wallstreet line, I think he may be making a choice between features and any speed bump he can get.

The other thing there is hard drive space. 8.6 takes up less room while still having many of the essential os 9 features.

I guess it depends on what he wants to do. A little slower with all the options open or a little faster but fewer options.

Good to have choices Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.