Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Mac OS 7 Print Server (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm a university student in Belgium, and I have just inherited a two old Macs (a PWM 7600 and a Performa 5200).

Since my needs for prints of any sort have greatly increased in those years, I am considering to buy an used B&W laser printer via Ebay to replace the color inkjet for B&W pages. I would like to set it up on one of the old Macs (the 7600, that has an Ethernet port), that should work as a printer server. I would like the server to allow Mac OS an Mac OS X connections, and possibly Windows too, although the latter is not a priority.

Is that feasable? If that is the case, what software do I need? Is it possible to share both printers (knowing the other is an Epson SC740, with Mac serial port, but of course no ethernet)?

And lastly, this might not be the perfect forum for this, but should you have a hint on which printer to choose, that would be gratly appreciated Wink

Thank you for the reply Smile ,

momo

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:44 pm

AppleShare IP 5 should work for this. I'm not really sure how to serve printers from OS 7 to OS X, I only know how to do the other way around.

See the OSX printer sharing How To in the Help Center.

momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Thanks! Could you give me some advice on where to find ASIP 5? I gave a look around, but I did not find anything...

By the way, please excuse the english mistakes I have made: I still haven't found how to edit my posts Confused

momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:41 am

No-one has an idea on where to find a copy of Appleshare IP 5?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:51 am

I'm sure theres plenty on eBay. If you're not in the United States then you might have a hard time finding it as I'm not sure how many copies of AppleShare IP 5 were exported to Europe or Asia.

Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:55 pm

momo, here's another suggestion. All you need is a copy of LaserWriter Bridge, a control panel Apple slapped together to solve your problem. It sort of provides multi-homing for AppleTalk. You set AppleTalk on your print server Mac to your Ethernet port, and LaserWriter Bridge allows the machine to simultaneously communicate with the printer via the printer port.

I have a PowerBook 5300 that I use exactly as you intend to use one of your machines. It is connected to a LaserWriter 360 (an excellent workhorse of a printer), and connected to my home Ethernet network via a PC-Card adapter. The Laserwriter is then available to all of my OS X and Classic machines around the house. I don't know about Windows, though-- that's out of my league.

--V.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.