Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Topic: Word 5.1a and 7.6.1 (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Jamie-Jamie (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:59 pm

I looked all around and couldn't find this one anywhere. Does anybody know about running Word 5.1a on System 7.6.1? It's the PowerPC OS on a Powerbook 3400. Whenever I try to start Word, it says that it's out of memory. Word's recommended size is 1MB. The largest unused block is 98MB (with VM turned on).

The Powerbook has 48MB of physical RAM and I've got 112MB of virtual memory. I've tried adjusting Word's memory up and down, tried running with VM off, and all of it to no avail! It ran on 8.6, so this is a bit odd.

I'm going to try it again with SpeedDoubler and LibMoto to see if that helps. Maybe it will! Very Happy

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Don't forget, the System limits the amount of RAM each program is allowed. You can change the amount Word is allowed to use by using Get Info on the app.

That said, I don't remember if I've actually tried Word 5 on 7.6.1... I stick with ClarisWorks 4.

Jamie-Jamie (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 am

That's what I was adjusting. I tried it higher and lower than the recommended size of 1000KB. No luck either way. I've got Speed Doubler 8 and LibMoto installed. I need to try it again!

r-ertl (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:40 pm

I have been using Word 5.1a with System 7 for years.
There are two solutions for this memory problem detailed at:
http://myweb.cableone.net/rmaxon/mp_news_897.html
(1) an extension called “FixWordSystemMemory”
(2) "Word 5.1a patch"
I used the extension until I found out about the patch.
You may have to search for these names to find an active download site.
If I remember correctly, I think you can also get around this problem by launching another application before you launch Word.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 pm

The link for the software mentioned in the article is a refernce to an old Info-Mac mirror. You might find either or both of the software solutions mentioned on our sister site .

bill

defor (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Another issue to watch for- Word 5.1a also pretty much fails at supporting large volume sizes- From memory, the root of the problem is in the assumption that a volume would never be any larger than 2GB. drives with free space exceeding this are often seen as negative sizes and prevent saving. a quick and dirty fix is to make a r/w disk image to contain word files when you are saving them, and then move them somewhere else.

This particularly comes into play with my 9500 with large sata drives in system 7.6.1, but also is a common problem on post-7 machines that shipped with larger drives.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.