Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Help installing Flash Player 5 and Speed Doubler 8 (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Heironimus (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:15 pm

I recently obtained a PowerMac 9500 and I have upgraded its OS to System 7.6.1, but am having a little trouble installing some of the items available on this fine website. I am new to Macintosh, so I apologize if I ask some dumb questions.

The specific two items I am having trouble with are the Flash Player 5 (flashplayer5.sit) and the Speed Doubler 8 (sd8.sit) downloads. When I try to open them with Stuffit Expander 5.5 (also obtained from this site) I get the following error: The application “unknown” has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 3 occurred.

Other *.sit files have worked fine. It is just the two I have listed above that give me trouble.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:33 pm

What browser did you use to download them? Perhaps they are incomplete, and a re-downoad is in order?

I don't believe anybody has ever reported this problem before.

Wast this a clean install of 7.6.1? Or did you upgrade from a previous version that was already installed on the computer?

Heironimus (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:23 pm

I upgraded from System 7.5.3 to 7.5.5 to 7.6 to 7.6.1 over the course of the last few weeks.

I have tried downloading it with IE Version 5.01 and Netscape 4. They both seem to have the same problem.

Heironimus (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:26 pm

Actually I did do I clean install when I installed 7.6 (the installer created a new system folder and renamed the old one).

Heironimus (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:03 pm

I have another correction to make. I am not sure I have ever gotten a *.sit file I’ve downloaded to work properly. I have gotten files with the name *.sit.hqx to work, but I don’t think I’ve been able to successfully download and use a *.sit file.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:04 pm

Hmm well I just downloaded them both on two machines at they opened fine.

Instead of double clicking on the files to open them, try launching Stuffit Expander individually and then opening them by going to File -> Extract.

Also, Internet Explorer 5.02 is the latest version for Mac OS 7. You can download that also from this site.

Oh yes, if you downloaded the files partiall once, they may be stored in cache so they will keep downloading the same incorrect files. Before trying to re-download them again (in IE) be sure to reset your history and clear your cache in the preferences.

Finally, you can try re-installing Stuffit Expander.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.