Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: G3 Kanga 7.6.0 and 7.6.1 Solution Thread (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next

Did it work for you?
No!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
I installed 7.6.0
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
I installed 7.6.1
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

defor (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:41 am

As some may have noticed, heard, whatever, a few months back I tracked down a Kanga with the express purpose of making 7.6 work hell or high water.

I've had a working solution to get 7.6.0 (as the 3400c runs it) on the system for a few months now, and am still tinkering with 7.6.1.

Instructions and notes for version 0.1:

First off, you'll need my install cd image:
http://www.eastrain.com/mac/po.....v0.1.toast
(74MB Toast 4.2 image, but any ISO capable cd burner app should work as well)

This install disc can be run on the G3 directly, but a few things to note:

7.6.1 has major shared library issues and WILL NOT boot if shared libraries are enabled. (I am currently working on this problem, but expect it to be solvable)

Because 7.6.0 is more stable, if you want to install this only, run the Netinstall for 7.6.0, and then manually put the provided G3 Enabler into your new system folder.

I have found that if you are running system 8 or later as well on your system, you may need to reboot with extensions disabled on your first return to 8.1 or the system will hang or error. This could just be me, or my dead PRAM battery, but should not prevent anyone from using a mixed-os system.

I don't guarantee this won't blow up your laptop, destroy data on it, etc, but it works fine for me- take that as you will.

I'd like to hear from testers- My next version will be a bit more straightforward and should function as an multipurpose install cd for 2400c, 3400c, and G3 based on the 3400c's official restore disc, so this is FAR from complete, but should be considered a mostly functional proof of concept.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Well color me impressed. I downloaded and installed per your instructions, booted it and it worked. I had for years suspected that it must be possible, but lost the interest to try to make it work myself. So kudos to you for getting this done.

How about some more detailed documentation of what you're doing? I'd like to know what all the changes are. The problem is that distribution of 7.6.1 is not condoned by Apple as it is not released into the public domain. In fact, I probably shouldn't even keep this linked here for much longer.

What is Shared Library Manager anyways, and why is it disabled? Why only the 68k one and not the PPC one? Is there a way to fix it? What is your project status on that? What can I expect *not* to work?

What is different about your System suitcase compared to the standard one? What changes did you make there.

Also, I noticed that sound was muted by default for some reason after I installed. Because System 7 has no visual confirmation that you're pressing the volume or brightness controls, this confused and alarmed me for a few moments as I thought sound was not working. Going to Monitors & Sound and turning off "Mute" fixed everything.

Many questions.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Another thing I found unfortunately is that if I shutdown or restart, the machine never shows anything on the screen again until I reset PRAM.

Sigh... back to Mac OS 9 for now but this is looking very promising indeed!

defor (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm still working on the "solution"
there's some strange shenanigans going on:

system 7.6.0 pb3400 install:
System version identifies as 7.5.3 NOT 7.6.0

system 7.6.1 pb3400 upgrade:
System version identifies as 7.6.1

a 7.6.1 pb3400 install crashes on shlib using 7.6.0 system, 7.6.1 system, or 3400c 7.6.1 system, but NOT 3400c 7.5.3 (7.6.0?) system!

Of course this is very strange...
The data fork in the 7.6.1 System file is NOT the culprit- I was mistaken...
first off, the 7.6.1 system file is hard-modified using the resources in the 3400-specific tome, but this still causes problems on a kanga.

however, if one archives the 7.5.3 system out of the working 7.6.0 install, and uses it in a 3400-upgraded 7.6.1 system, 7.6.1 + shared libraries seem to work!?!

this of course brings up the key issue which is that system is the interface between all apps and the hardware, so this might be ok to run a legacy install of, as finder, extensions, etc are all updated to the 7.6.1 build.

I'm going to attempt to track down what offending code resources might be hindering the use of 7.6.0/7.6.1, at this point, if it comes down to a single set of code, it should be portable over into the modified 7.6.1 3400c system resources pack/file- system is pretty malleable overall.

Glad to see you had some success with it, but I agree, until I work out the kinks, a later os is better suited.

defor (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 pm

on the topic of legality, go ahead and pull my links- it's not really current as to my recent research, and I intend to rebuild the install to operate using the stock 7.6/1 install cd if possible

the image i have linked is actually using the install sets from my old service source disks floppy archives, but a better option would be to factor out the differences between the 3400c install cd and the retail disks.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Any updates or prospects for this?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.