Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Using 7.1 on a Powerbook Duo 230 (Page 1 of 1)
  karlp (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:55 am

I recently acquired a mint condition 230 with all working parts and such, pulled it out of the box and booted it up, and got to a System 7.1 prompt. Now, I'm a mac osx kinda guy, so I'd love some pointers on:

1) What can I do to get this guy up to date with the latest 7.X
2) How do I get information on and off the computer?
3) What abandonware games and programs from my youth would run, and where would I be able to get them?

Also, if there's a quick way to get this guy on the internet, that would be great, too.

Thanks!

Karl

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:06 pm

You're pretty limited with what you can do with just a Duo itself. You need one of various docks, to do various things.

The full-size Duo Dock and Duo Dock II will give you a full suite of ports and NuBus slots to add additional cards. The Dock II I believe also has ethernet built in, but it's AAUI and requires a transceiver. Both full-size docks have floppy drives and SCSCI ports to connect external CD-ROM or hard drives.

The smaller Mini Docks give you a good amount of ports to access external drives and networks.

The smallest Micro Docks usually give you only one port. For example, you could get an Ethernet Micro Dock that gives you one RJ-45 ethernet port to connect to a network. Or a SCSI Micro Dock to connect an external drive.

In any case, you need one of the above to really get anything on/off your Duo.

karlp (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:09 pm

I have the VCR style dock, and a few other things as well, but I'm not sure what that's called.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:18 pm

karlp wrote:

I have the VCR style dock, and a few other things as well, but I'm not sure what that's called.

Those are the full size docks. Depending on which model you have, it may have AAUI ethernet on the back. You can use that to connect to the internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A....._Interface

If you have a USB floppy drive, you can use that on your Mac OS X computer and transfer files between the Duo and your newer Mac.

karlp (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Great! So, I just plug the ethernet in and go, or what? Is there special software required?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:35 pm

You need a AAUI to RJ-45 transceiver first. Then, you need to have appropriate networking software installed on the Duo.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.