Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: $1 Power Macintosh 9500/132 (Page 1 of 1)
  Heironimus (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:51 pm

My company was getting rid of a bunch of old equipment recently and I was able to acquire an old Power Macintosh 9500/132 they had for a $1 (I was the high bidder Very Happy ).

I had to replace the PRAM Battery (about $10). It came with System 7.5.3 so I upgraded to 7.5.5. I found this website and read its recommendation to run System 7.6.1 and I also discovered that a lot of the Mac software for older machines required System 7.6.1. So I bought a copy of System 7.6 on eBay for $15 (including shipping and handling). Then I upgraded that to System 7.6.1.

So I currently have a $26 PowerMac 9500/132 with the following:
48 MB of RAM
2 GB Hard drive
PowerPC 604 - 132 MHz (I think)

Is there a program I could run on the system that will tell me exactly what I have? The “About this computer” item in the Apple menu tells you the memory and OS version, but I don’t know how to verify the processor information.

When I got it up and running, I searched through my old CDs for anything that might run on a Macintosh (I have never had one up to this point). To my surprise I discovered the following application that would run on my “new” Mac:
Warcraft
Warcraft II (including the expansion set)
Tribond

I was pleased to see Warcraft II would run, because the version I have would not run properly on Windows XP (you need the Battle Net edition for that). I may find some other things, but that is all I have found up to this point.

Matt

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:57 pm

The "132" in 9500/132 means its a 132mhz model. Once you get Speed Doubler 8's 68k emulation running properly, you'll really feel how Powerful a 132mhz PowerPC chip is compared to similar vintage Pentiums.

Sounds like a great system and welcome to S7T! Warcraft II is good to know, as I still have to develop this site's gaming section.

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:50 am

Aye, sounds like you got a deal! I was given a 7200/90 and also had to change the PRAM battery ($10). I've also added a second 1.0GB hard drive ($5, plus another $5 for the mounting sled), 128MB RAM ($20), an L2 Cache module ($16), and MacOS 8 ($20) and 9.0.4 ($69). I have System 7.5.5 on a partition but am trolling eBay for 7.6/7.6.1 to replace it.

I might have to see about running Warcraft II myself...my system also has a nice ATI Rage 128 video card. I have World of Warcraft already on hand for when I save up enough dough for a nice G4 system.

frank costa (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:37 pm

<Is there a program I could run on the system that will tell me exactly what I have? >

Go to AppleMenu>System Profiler. It will give you the story.

Frank

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:17 pm

Unless you're running an OS previous to 7.6.1.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.