Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Getting 9500/200 silent (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  z5t (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 am

Hello everybody,

recently I bought an old Powermac 9500/200. It's alot of fun to play with it and it's worth every Euro I paid for it. This Mac has a nice feature - its video card comes in PCI flavor and has a VGA connector, so it's possible to change the original monitor which could be used as a killing weapon if dropped from a window, to a nice flat screen LCD.

This Powermac has unfortunately one limitation. It's loud like a vacuum cleaner. Is there a possibility to make it less loud? Is it possible to clean/oil it's fans, so they remain silent? If yes - which elements must get cleaned? Or maybe some parts should be exchanged?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

z.

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 am

In my experience it's a past-it's-best hard disk that can cause most noise.

Disconnect the power supply to the hard disk(s) and start up to see if it makes much difference.

Sometimes extra fans are added - I had one attached to the side of an HD in an 8500, which I disconnected without issue.

My 9500 is not the quietest machine ever, but it should be acceptable sitting next to it.

G.

z5t (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:20 am

Hi,

the sound/noise of the HDD can be distinguished, it is very unique and I don't mind it. The nuisance must be a kind of fan which turns consistently. I suspect the power unit with old fan...

z.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:17 pm

My 8600 and 8200 are both pretty quiet. Not iMac or even Mac Pro quiet, but they're not really loud either. Most PCs seem to be louder than either of them.

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:48 pm

I find the 800-840av-8100-8500-9500 form factor machines to be blissfully quiet as a rule, so there must be a fan or a drive needing replaced or minimally oiled.

There are actually two fans in a 9500: the PS fan and an additional fan in the area of the CPU daughter/ PCI cards.

jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm

I just picked up a 9500/132 and it's fairly loud. I'm thinking of replacing the PSU fan and second fan with modern, quiet versions. Has anyone done this?

If not, I'll go ahead and do it and report back.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.