Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Getting 9500/200 silent (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Update:

I replaced the case fan with a silent (18 dB) fan. It's socket compatible but wouldn't spin up. Seems that it's got three wires whereas the OEM one has two. Used an adaptor to plug it directly into one of the power supply connectors and it works great.

PSU fan is another story. I'll have to get the PSU apart and solder a 120mm fan to it.

jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:38 am

Update:

I replaced the 80 mm case fan with a modern, quiet one. The case fan has two wires but the modern one has three; plugging it into the fan plug on the logic board didn't work so I just used an adaptor and plugged it directly into one of the power supply wires.

The 120 mm PSU fan is a bit more difficult and I'm looking into soldering a new one directly in. Though the fan would be controlled by the PSU and might end up not being much quieter than the stock one.

jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Sorry for the double; I didn't realize there was a second page and assumed the first post didn't get posted.

Oelmuvun (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:28 am

What two wires were plugged into the Mac's fan header? Did you try the other two?
The yellow wire of a three wire fan is the tach, it is grounded twice per revolution or something. The red one tends to be 12v on most common fans.

If that fails you may have to extract the red and black wires from your fan's connector and swap them if Apple's are reversed. I mean, Apple is totally liable to go and do something retarded like that...However I do not remember reading about them doing that. *shrug*

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.