Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Orinoco Gold (Page 1 of 1)
  sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:40 am

I know the orinoco gold cards work in 1400's. Is there a specific one that is better? The reason I ask is there are so many conflicting descriptions of them on ebay, cardbus, nothing stated, and so on that I don't want to purchase one that is won't work. Is there a picture of the one you recomend Dan?

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:50 pm

Orinoco and WaveLAN are the same card, just rebranded.

The Bronze sucks--It *ONLY* supports the original 802.11b spec, that is running at 1Mbit or 2Mbit per second. This card DOES NOT support WEP.

The Silver card is better, it supports the revised 802.11b specs, and features support for 64-bit WEP. This card, according to several information pages online, can be upgraded via a firmware update (from either an airport enabled macintosh or a few routers with PCMCIA ports internally) to gold Specs.

The Gold card is--well Gold! It not only supports 64-bit WEP but will also supports 128-bit WEP but also apparently features an additional antenna.

b

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks B. Run a search on orinoco gold on ebay and you will run across my delema. Which is, is there a difference with all of the gold cards? Some are listed as cardbus, a few mention type 2 pcmcia, and most don't say a thing. Compared a few and different info is offered even though they look the same. You know how finiky 7.6.1 is with these cards. I want to make sure I get the right ones. (need 3)

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:58 pm

hey

people are idiots on ebay--remember the Orinoco cards are VERY VERY OLD cards, released way before Cardbus was around.

As long as its either a Orinoco card OR a WaveLAN card (or maybe some dell card) it works.

NONE are cardbus, trust me.

I'm sure people dont have any idea what cardbus is....

They will ALL fit, I have had this card working in my 1400cs, my 2400c, and my 3400c with no hitch.

Get the gold.

b

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 am

That's what I thought, to much incorrect info out there. Thanks B.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.