I don't use X, I stick to Classic
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

z5t (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27 am

Hi,
recently I spend quite a lot of time tampering with my old macs and discovering how useful they still are.
I work with various operating systems due to the requirements of my job, and in case of various flavors of Windows I share the common feeling that there is really no demand for new OSes like Vista or 7. If MS supported XP in terms of security patches and ability to use new hardware (more RAM, more CPUs) very few desktop users would need something more than XP.

What is the case with MacOS X? Is Classic going extinct, because it is flawed somehow, or because Apple wants it to die?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:46 pm

z5t wrote:

Is Classic going extinct, because it is flawed somehow, or because Apple wants it to die?

It's because it's old as hell. So much has changed since 1984 when the fundamentals of Classic were designed.

Classic + countless enhancements to make it seem modern is not only not something anyone could expect Apple to do but it really isn't something you'd want anyway.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Classic is a really nice operating system. It is fast and responsive for what it does. But it was never built to do many of the things people ask now.

I am using Classilla on OS 8.6 for a lot of browsing. The fellow doing the work on it has really done a good job, but there are still many things that it cannot do, because the support is non existent within the OS itself.

This same fellow has said he will do something for Netscape 4.x to improve the browsing experience in OS 7. He will be even more limited in what he can do.

I am using FileMaker as a development tool. The latest versions support ODBC connections directly to SQL databases in a very high end fashion, actually allowing me to virtualize the tables within FileMaker. It also allows a maximum file size of 8 Tb for native FileMaker files. None of this ability is built into Classic. So it is no surprise the FileMaker Inc left Classic at version 6 (Now in version 10).

On the plus side, CPU for CPU, Machine for Machine, OS 9 will run approximately 2.5 times as fast as OS X 10.3 or 10.4. So if it is something that can be done in classic, it can be done very efficiently. The speed gap only increases if you go down to 8.6 or 7.6. 7.6 is really really fast for the machines it runs on.

There are things in Classic that are still better from a user point of view than OS X. It is probably the best single user OS ever built. The response on the screen with limited resources is snappy and clean. OS X is mushy. I am not a Dock fan and would love to permanently get rid of it and do other things. The classic app selector in the upper right hand corner is far superior in that it takes no screen real estate.

So, OS X is the future. But the past is still useful and in spite of all the years (getting up on a decade now) since the OS X roll out, classic still runs nicely for many purposes.

I also like Classic just from the perspective that I do not think everything should go to a land fill every 3 to 5 years. The fact that I have been able to take several Classic machines and upgrade them and special purpose them so they are still useful and a joy to run give me great pleasure. This being said, I am getting much the same pleasure from an AGP Graphics machine, upgraded to a 1 GHz G4 that my wife uses quite happily. She needed web functions that were beyond the ability of Classic.

I am a firm believer in doing more with less. Sometimes Classic does it. Other times, you have to move on. For a lot of people, all they really need is email, web browser, word processor, minor graphics program and adequate speed. The place it is falling down is on browsing because we want so much more now. Classilla helps a lot. If there are improvements to Netscape 4.x, this will also help a lot. Web is the Archilles heel from what I can see to keeping these machines vital.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.