Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 8500 randomly freezing (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  fogWraith (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Just recently I've been having these weird things going down with my trusty old 8500, it randomly freezes completely, sometimes just the apps hang and I can actually kill them with a command.

A few days ago I upgraded the CPU (from the old 604 120) with a Sonnet G4 400/1, installed the software and everything was dandy, a few days later I reformatted & installed OS9 just to find that it wasn't for me at this point, reinstalled System 7.6, updated it and all that. Since then it's been having the issues.

So if anyone would have the slightest of ideas, I'd be grateful. On a sidenote, the CPU doesn't get hot at all, but the Radeon gets a bit warm due to it not having a fan, just a heatsink.

8500 (Nitro) w/ G4 400/1
Radeon 7000
56Mb RAM
350Mb HDD
3Com Fast Etherlink
Dead battery (ordering a new one)

If needed, I will provide further information if it's necessary.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:10 pm

Well right off the bat, Mac OS 7 is not compatible with the AltiVec feature of G4s, so if the drivers for your G4 processor include an AltiVec enabling extension you'll have to disable it. But that defeats the purpose of a G4 entirely, as then it will only run as a G3.

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 am

I'm sure you meant G3

I hope you did anyway....

b

fogWraith (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:29 am

Aha, I see. So for this to actually work, I would have to go with at the very least Mac OS 8.6 or something similar?

Quote:

I'm sure you meant G3

I hope you did anyway....

b

No, I meant G4.

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:44 am

Oh my!

That should be one fast computer. Good Luck!

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:36 am

Well, that is only if you're G4 is causing the problems. And if it were, its not the processor itself, it's the software to enable AltiVec on that processor.

Yes, to take full benefit of a G4 you need OS 8.6 or higher, and of course software that actually uses it, which not much classic software does.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.