Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerBook 3400c Battery Li-Ion or NiMH? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:29 pm

I fired up BatteryAmnesia on my 3400c and got an alert which read "This model of computer uses a Lithium-Ion battery, which is not susceptible to the memory effect. Running BatteryAmnesia won't harm it, but it doesn't provide any benefit either."

I checked the battery, and it is a "PowerBook Rechargeable Battery" marked NiMH (with a copyright 1995 Apple Computer, Inc toward the bottom of the sticker), but everymac.com and MacTracker both report the battery should be a 32Wh Li-Ion. The battery I have fits the machine just fine, and it works, but the machine has behaved oddly when on battery ever since I bought it a few weeks ago.

Do I definitely have the wrong battery? Should my machine long since have exploded? What's going on?

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm

I want to add that by "fits the machine just fine" I mean that there is no physical indication that it is not the proper battery for the machine, not that it merely fits the hole.

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:24 pm

It's Li-Ion ....

a Ni-MH battery would have violently committed suicide by now on the 3400c.

I would file that under "misprint" and continue. it is a Li-Ion battery. If it isn't you need to stop using that battery immediately.

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:32 pm

It sounds like you have a PowerBook 190 or 5300 battery. They work in 3400s but don't charge or something like that. A far cry from commiting suicide.

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:02 am

There's a difference in the charging profile between Lithium Ion batteries and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, IE they charge in VERY different ways. Maybe suicide was a bit exaggerated, but PLEASE get a Li-Ion battery in there, i *CAN* without a doubt tell you that the battery could overheat if being charged wrong, causing all sorts of problems possibly. Or the laptop is smart enough to notice the foreign battery and prevent the PMU from charging it (more likely scenerio)

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:18 am

Yes... but Apple already thought ahead and realized that people may try to stick their PowerBook 5300 batteries into identical 3400c battery bays.

http://docs.info.apple.com/art.....tnum=24361

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.