Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: AIMM (Page 1 of 1)
  Pierre Films (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:18 pm

A favorite AIM program of mine for Mac OS 7-9 has been AIMM because of its simplicity. But for nearly a year now it hasn't been working. When I try to connect it just hangs. It seems that the old login address (login.oscar.aol.com port 5190) isn't working anymore. I've tried to use the same login address and port # as iChat, but that just kicks me off when it gets to the authorization part.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I much prefer AIMM to AOL IM when it comes to just simply chatting. I'm also trying to get in contact with its creators to see if they will give out the source so perhaps someone with a little bit of programing experience can take a look and perhaps fix it (Very Happy). I'm sure I was not the only user of this program here.

Pierre Films Idea

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:22 pm

AIM servers switched protocols to communicate to thier server.

I was using a unix type AIM client that just stopped working, and after contacting the coordinator/developer, I found the above information out.

The developer was able to rewrite the program to support the protocol.

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Not only that, AIMM doesn't run very well under System 7 without the Apperance Manager, and even then crashes pretty much instantly. Mac OS 7 being the minimum system requirements on that emuscene website has to be a typo.

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:06 pm

AIMM is a REALbasic application, it might be more stable on System 7 if it was migrated to an older version of RB before compilation, but that's just a thought. It broke with AOL's TOC->TOC2 'transition'. I contacted the developer and was able to obtain the source code, but the code isn't very tidy and it might not be worth the effort for me to figure out how to update it to support TOC2. I know (theoretically) how to do it, I have the necessary code, and I'm familiar with RB but I don't enjoy working with it enough that I really want to figure out what all is going on under the hood with AIMM. This is in no way to disparage AIMM as an application, it was a pleasure to use back in the day, and the developer did an awesome job making it tick.

However, there is something else... The author of bsflite (a cross-platform command-line AIM client) wrote compatibility for System 7 into the communications library that bsflite uses (called 'imcomm'). I haven't made it compile yet, but when I last tried I was lacking appropriate versions of CodeWarrior (I just got my hands on 4, 5 and 6) -- I'm not sure if there are any more technical hurdles. If it compiles, that seems to be the more promising basis for a System 7 AIM client that doesn't suck. I'll investigate this further in about five weeks, and probably start writing my own AIM client around that time, but I can't guarantee my success or any sort of a time-table...but if anyone does want to nudge this project along, they can send me lots of juicy 3400c batteries -- the sooner I get my 3400c off my desk and out into the world, the sooner I'll feel compelled to do something about replacing that atrocious AOL client. Very Happy

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:21 pm

I have a 3400c battery I could donate for the cause....

how's 1.5 hours sound?

b

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.