Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Powerbook 1400 factory RAM module (Page 1 of 1)
  JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 am

I'm currently fiddling around with my Powerbook 1400. It's got 16MB of RAM factory installed. I also have a sacrificial Powerbook which also has 16MB of factory installed. (For those that don't know that's 8MB soldered on the motherboard and 8MB on a RAM card.) I want to move the 8MB factory card from the sacrificial 1400 to bring the other one up to 24MB of RAM. But will the factory module work in the user upgrade slot?

I have confirmed via Apple's developer documentation that the use the exact same 80-pin connector, but some of the pin assignments don't seem to correspond directly. I'm also not sure if the factory module will physically fit in the user slot. Any advice on this?

See page 40 of Apple's Developer Documentation.

JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 am

That's page 40 as shown on the guide pages, but page 54 of the PDF. Pin assignments start on page 41/55.

JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Alright. Answering my own question, by looking at the motherboard picture on this site, the answer is obviouse to me now. The factory card cannot be used in the user slot because the factory card has the male version of the connector on the bottom while the user installable modules have the female version of the connector. They also have the male connector on them, but it is there to receive the second user module.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.