Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Virtual PC 2.1.2 update? (Page 1 of 1)
  Anonymous Freak (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm

I now have a copy of Virtual PC 2.1.

But...

I really want to run it on my B&W G3, in Mac OS 8.6. Unfortunately, there is a known incompatibility which requires the (free) 2.1.2 update for it to run in 8.6.

Well, Connectix is now long gone; and Microsoft doesn't offer up any old Connectix-era updates. Anyone have this updater lying around on some forgotten corner of a disk?

One fun factoid from the ReadMe that I hadn't known before: Virtual PC 2 supports direct hardware access of 3Dfx cards! It wasn't until 10 years later that VMware got the ability to directly access a 3D accelerator.

32 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:59 am

Someone over at 68kmla put up a copy.

JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 am

Congrats on finding the update you were looking for.

A little more info on the 3D acceleration, it's VooDoo 2 cards only. Virtual PC can only access 1 PCI slot at a time, so unfortunately you can't throw 2 cards in there in SLI mode. A company called Quantum 3D did make a card called the Obsidian2 X-24, which was 2 VooDoo 2s in SLI on a single board, but I have no idea if that would work with virtual PC. (I have always wanted to try that though!

*Edited by moderator 2/1/10 to fix brackets on URL.

32 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 pm

I have one of those Obsidian boards somewhere....

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.