Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Classilla 9.1 released (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:05 pm

How about just the basics -- HTML, CSS and inline images -- in a trim lean browser for System 7? No JavaScript, no plugins, no mail, no composer, no "skins."

Oh yeah, and NOT requiring Appearance Manager.

ClassicHasClass (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 am

Sort of an omnibus reply.

The 120MB figure for my RAMDoubled 9.1 1400 is total memory. I didn't change Classilla's memory allocation on purpose for testing. Yes, Mozilla is fat, but it gives me the best chance for something close to modern. Although there are things like WebKit's Origyn Web Browser, which I have seen running on AmigaOS (!!), I suffer no illusions as to how hard that would be to port to the classic Mac OS, nor any guarantees about any memory requirement.

Since you are forcing my hand, I actually do have, in a partially working form, a System 7 browser. It does not support CSS yet, though it has some hooks for it, and I have to fix its inline image support. And that's all I'm going to say about that right now. I do intend to get it to a releaseable state, and it is written in a language that is freely available and easy to modify. The CSS support, however, will be a little different than people expect, because reflow sucks on 68K. More about that when my brain has finished the needed gyrations to put code to keyboard.

ClassicHasClass (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 am

JoAT wrote:

I wonder what you... er... I mean the creator would think of someone running Classilla on a 1400/166 with only 16mb of real RAM installed. Virtual memory being set to 100mb and all...

I'd think you were very brave. Wink But technically, I can't see anything wrong with that; it ought to work fine, just arduously slow.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:

The CSS support, however, will be a little different than people expect, because reflow sucks on 68K..

You know many of us here run System 7 on like 300+ MHz PowerPC 604s, G3s and even some G4s LOL.

Anonymous Freak (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 am

SOME may run Sys 7 on new(ish) hardware; but if you're going to support 7, I heartily endorse the idea of going whole-hog and supporting 68k machines, too.

If by some miracle, he can shoehorn in full-blown 68000 support, I'd buy him a beer. (Even if it's massively limited functionality; it would just be fun to have something that at least PRETENDS to comprehend the modern HTML and HTTP standards, unlike most old browsers which fail so miserably even on the current google.com as to be unusable.)

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.