Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Any chance for.... S9T ? (Page 1 of 1)
  Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:41 am

Hey everyone,

let me first send a 'thank you' to the person in charge, S7T is a great website and does justice to a wonderful operating system. I believe, to everyone growing up with System 7 (like me) it always holds a special place in our hearts.

Anyway, with S7T and mac-info I came to think that something is missing in between. Well, you guess what I am aiming at.... any chances we get to see System (MacOS) 9 today?

There is still an active community out there for Mac OS 9, a lot of members still use it every day (like I do!) and there is some software development going on. Just take Cameron Kaisers awesome Classilla browser for example. A lot of abandonware has been available recently as well, which allows to build the ultimate OS 9 system. (supported by cheap prices for older G3 and G4 hardware)

Unfortunately one thing we OS 9 'ers still lack is that sort of central place that S7T is for System 7 people. And since it would perfectly fit into the network idea I have hopes that you may consider this expansion. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to contribute.

What do you think about that?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 am

I've thought about it, but I'm not so sure Mac OS 9 strikes the same emotional chord that System 7 does. Nobody creates fan clubs dedicated to athlete's after they've became fat and out of shape.

If you disagree then go for it!

Anonymous Freak (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:06 am

Well, not quite the same as this site, but there was OS9Forever.com

The developer of the various hacks there 'quit' OS 9 in 2005, though; and sold the domain (and the most important of his hacks) to OWC.

You might ask OWC if they would be willing to part with the domain, and turn it into a S7T-like site.

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:30 am

I think this poster has a great idea and I'd like to see a site like S7T dedicated to OS 9 as well. I recently bought some very inexpensive Powerbook G3's and I'm amazed at what I've been able to do with them without running OS X, which by the way I recently decided I will never use on my machines again.

I am a native PC user, but I've found OS 9 to have some good value in it. And with the right hardware setup, OS 9 is very fast and runs alot of modern, usable software without the bloat of OS X. It still keeps the classic interface, and can be made to look just like System 7 with an app called Kaleidoscope. I've even managed to get decent full screen MPEG-4 video on my G3-400's.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:14 am

I think MacOS9Today.com would probably be more appropriate.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.