Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerBook 1400 Compact Flash via PCMCIA? (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:43 am

It's actually super easy. The PowerBook 1400 keyboard simply flips up, and you replace the CPU which is right underneath.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Deckard wrote:

The Sonnet Crescendo/PB G3 is the only CPU upgrade I've found so far that explicitly list support for the PowerBook 1400. There's a few other Sonnet Crescendo cards on Ebay and elsewhere (going for less than $100) that the sellers have claimed will work the 1400, but I'm skeptical. And the Crescendo/PB G3 elsewhere lists for around $250-300. Unless the 1400 is really easy to upgrade, I'd be nervous about opening it up and doing that, as I've never done that on a laptop. It's the same thing with laptop hard drives.

But if the 1400 isn't like the G3/G4 PowerBooks (I replaced the hard drive in a clamshell iBook once, having to take apart the entire case, and I would never do it again), then I might take a chance, as well as add in another 16MB RAM to max it out. The Sonnet website claims that upgrading the CPU is rather straightforward (listed as out of stock, of course.)

My information is that the accelerator must be specifically for that machine. I would love to know otherwise. If you have URL's, I would be happy to look at them and find out what I can. I have two PB 1400's I would love to "Bring Into the Modern World" and a low cost option would be terrific.

oldmacs (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 am

I just bought the cheapest PCMIA card and Flash Card and it works well with my 1400cs. the only annoying thing is that it ejects the card after use shutdown.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.