Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: text+styl conversion (Page 1 of 1)
  Asa (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:54 pm

I have been searching in vain for a utility that will take a SimpleText file that has a styl resource (containing style and color info) and convert it to rtf format for export to my PC.

I downloaded the WordPerfect installer from this site. I know it saves in rtf format, but it won't translate the styl info when I open the file. Also, there seems to be no text color in WordPerfect. It's under graphics, and seems to have no effect on text. Trying to use the converters does no good either.

Help?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:29 pm

TexEdit and TexEdit Plus are replacements for SimpleText that work very well. They are both still available and work very well with 7.6. I have not used them in sometime so I am not sure what options they have for saving. I do believe that one can do copy and paste from the TexEdit application and it does preserve the format.

OpenDoc which also runs on OS 7.6, used rtf for its text formats and some of its applications could open SimpleText files. BBEdit also had versions of its software from that time frame that could open SimpleText files, but again I do not know what formats it could "save as".

If you have access to an OS X machine you might want to see what TextEdit from OS X does with SimpleText files. In a similar vein an editor called "WorldText" was distributed with OS 9.1. It can open SimpleText files and save rtf files.

bill

Asa (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:49 pm

wove wrote:

TexEdit and TexEdit Plus are replacements for SimpleText that work very well. They are both still available and work very well with 7.6. I have not used them in sometime so I am not sure what options they have for saving. I do believe that one can do copy and paste from the TexEdit application and it does preserve the format.

I have both. I used to use them when I had my old Quadra 605. The one thing they never did was allow me to save in rtf format. Tex-Edit Plus allows me to save in many formats, but the color information gets lost. Some formats will preserve the styles (bold, underline, italic, etc.), but not the color.

wove wrote:

OpenDoc which also runs on OS 7.6, used rtf for its text formats and some of its applications could open SimpleText files. BBEdit also had versions of its software from that time frame that could open SimpleText files, but again I do not know what formats it could "save as".

I have BBEdit Lite 3.5.1 (couldn't find a copy of v4.6). It won't import any of the style information.

wove wrote:

If you have access to an OS X machine you might want to see what TextEdit from OS X does with SimpleText files. In a similar vein an editor called "WorldText" was distributed with OS 9.1. It can open SimpleText files and save rtf files.

bill

Unfortunately, I don't. There must be some way to convert a text file with a styl resource to formatted text. I just can't find it. I could manually add all the style information back into the document with BBEdit, but that's alot of work when the files already exist with the style information in them. Sad

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:24 pm

Now you have my curiousity aroused. I used TeachText then SimpleText for years and years and was glad I did for everything I did in text format has moved right along with me to newer OSes. Yet I will say I never did use SimpleText for anything beyond just simpe text entry.

Have you tried using copy and paste just going through the system clip board? Using show Clipboard from the Finder menu would let you see if the "style" information was copied. Then see if the "style" information can be copied between SimpleText documents. Then try it in other applications.

Didn't the AppleScript package come with a Scriptable TextEditor? Perhaps it or the scripting abilites of TexEdit would allow you to move the "style" info along using some AppleScript.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.