Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PCI gigabit Ethernet cards.... (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  blackangel (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:40 am

Hi there,

Read somewhere that certain PCI Gigabit cards are as simple as PNP depending on chipset.

I came across a D-Link card they other day based on the DGE-S60SX 100/1000 Mbps PCI adaptor. It uses the Marvell 88E8001 Controller. It has DOS aswell as 98/ME support, so, I'm thinking it at least should be visible to the Mac running 7.5.5. The only Mac reference is 10.2, 10.3. Though I'm thinking it was introduced around that time or not long after.

Would anyone one if this would work. I'm running off 7.5.5.

thanks

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:59 am

Your best bet would be to just stick it in a PCI slot and give it a try. If I had to guess I would assume it would not work. D-Link has not been a very Mac friendly company and I doubt you would get any support or drivers from them.

Asante has always had excellent Mac support and they made 10/100 cards for both PCI and Nubus slots.

bill

mac2geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm

I have two PCI gigabit ethernet cards. One is a D-Link DGE530T that only has drivers for 10.2 - 10.3; no other Mac drivers that I've been able to find, though lots of PC and Linux drivers. The other is an Asante Giga -something that works great in the 9600, OS 9. Haven't tried it in OS 7.x. The Asante site has a bunch of drivers, and , come to think of it, they only list drivers back to OS 8, so probably no go in 7.x, though it's probably worth a try.

defor (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Any Realtek RTL8169-based card will work wonderfully to get gigabit in 7.x:

There's even official drivers for mac-- search for:
RTL8169xV111.sit

is the latest driver package for it.
Cards are <15$ anywhere from Newegg to eBay as it was a popular low-cost card in the pc world.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:37 pm

I really wish this was added into the hardware guide and the driver hosted here.

I found the driver at http://headgap.com/osx/Drivers.....mac9x-8169(100)/EXE/RTL8169xV111.sit

Is this the only option for gigabit in OS7? It's also a bit sad that it doesn't support PC Card hotswapping.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:52 am

So after some searching, I found that the $10 Trendnet TEG-PCITXR gigabit PCI adapter uses the Realtek 8169 chip. I put this in my Power Macintosh 9500 along with the previously-mentioned driver and it works great!

I'm writing this post from iCab 2.9.9 with the 9500 connected to the internet through the Trendnet NIC.

I'm not sure what network benchmark utilities exist for System 7, but I was able to download a 1GB file from my home server using iCab in about 10 minutes, which is a heck of a lot faster than the ~1 hour it took with the built-in 10Mb/s connection!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.