Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Wikileaks (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:30 pm

A shame but true, Amazon and EveryDNS among others, try to cut out the freedom of information.
The wiki can still be accessed here:
http://www.wikileaks.ch/
http://213.251.145.96/

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:50 pm

I completely understand why corporations don't want to be associated with this introvert and his vendetta against the United States. It's not a matter of "freedom of information" - every government has information that serve their citizenry best not to disclose. And what exactly has these releases accomplished? So far they're largely the personal thoughts and observations of diplomats. What use does that serve other than to make the sources blush?

mac2geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm

I disagree Dan. If you read some of those cables they are almost always boringly routine and should never have been classified in the first place. The only motivation for most government secrecy is officials in CYA mode, to avoid possible embarrassment.

But the fundamental issues is that information should be public. Without information the people in a "democracy" are basically helpless to combat official lies. I salute wikileaks; more power to them.

I also will never spend a dime at Amazon because of their cowardly action.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:18 pm

mac2geezer wrote:

Without information the people in a "democracy" are basically helpless to combat official lies.

And what exactly is the tally of "official lies" revealed by the leaks so far?

Quote:

I also will never spend a dime at Amazon because of their cowardly action.

That's your loss.

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Excuse me boys, I am afraid you are both right.
The cables did not reveal much new or interesting stuff.
In fact, most of it is rather dull.

Do you remember the young man, who preserved records about jewish accounts from being destroyed at a Swiss bank?
Later we knew, there wasn't much in those records.
The employee who rescued the material was prosecuted by law afterwards and lost his job.

And this I feel, is the point.
It isn't the content of the messages, but the fact, that we the people, are the sovereign in modern communities.
Nobody is supposed to decide for us, which information has to be revealed and which has to be kept secret.

There is already enough lying and cheating, going on on this planet.

PB540fanatic (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I don't have much of an opinion either way. I just see the whole situation as 'interesting' as hell to watch all this play out.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.