Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Wikileaks (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  mac2geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 pm

[And this I feel, is the point.
It isn't the content of the messages, but the fact, that we the people, are the sovereign in modern communities.
Nobody is supposed to decide for us, which information has to be revealed and which has to be kept secret. ]

24Bit nailed the essence of the issue right there.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:10 am

1. The history of whistle blowers in general is one of being crucified for their trouble. Even in the case of really important information, they are pilloried for disloyalty. They have to question the veracity of anyone they would disclose to. Wikileaks is a one stop drop off centre. I don't think that they are particulary tareting the U.S. This just happens to be where the latest leak comes from. This is really important in that you now have an international publisher that cannot be bought off, to the consternation of nations and corporations. It takes the place of investigative reporters in an era when news as opposed to ideology was king. The reporters are still honest I believe, but the media outlets are owned by people with their own personal adgenda, especially in the States. The media loyalty would prohibit publication in some publication families. And now these familes are quite large and represent a very large segment of the total publishing universe in any country.

2. There is much that is put under a veil of secrecy as a matter of course. From government, people are far less accepting of this. They have been lied to repeatedly and the lies have been outed. There is a lack of trust and an overwhleming desire for both inside knowledge and transparency. In jokes, the "World's Biggest Lie" used to be Your cheque is in the mail. Now it is I'm from the government and I am here to help you. I find it reassuring that most of what has been leaked is really dull and boring, personal opinion and really of no consequence. The release of this information while "impolite" is not in any way earth shaking. It just lifts a veil that should never have been there.

3. From the perspective of the "Leakee", this is actually a far better system in the long run than espionage where the leaked info goes to another government or corporation. They know they have been breached. Most of the time they can figure out how and do some corrections. They know what damage is done immediately as opposed to 20 years later.

4. This is a "System In Evolution". The rules are not yet written. Right now any gaming advantage appears to be to the "Leaker". I predict the "Leakee's" will very quickly learn how to use this same system. In the mean time the "Leakee's" will cry loudly as that is one form of damage control.

5. I have no idea how much editorial control is exerted over leaked info. So I can't comment as to putting people's life at risk etc. On the other hand, taking a look at the Valery Plame case (not sure of spelling here), apparently you don't have to use Wikileaks to go that route.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.