Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Help with Radeon 7000 (Page 1 of 1)
  mccomber (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:09 am

Hi,

I've got a PowerMac 8500 that I'm trying to get to work with a Radeon 7000. I've got the ATI drivers from this site installed and I removed the nut by the vga port so the card will seat fully. But when I boot the machine the monitor stays black and eventually goes to sleep.

If I boot with the 7000 in but the monitor connected to the built-in graphics port I see that the ATI icon is there but the Graphics Acceleration is grayed out and ATI Displays just beeps.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to press the CUDA switch, remove the video ram, put the card in a specific PCI slot?

Thanks,
Doug

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:39 pm

As a rule you should hit the Cuda switch whenever you install or change any part connected to the mother board.

Hitting the CUDA switch should also reset the PRAM, which holds the monitor settings. In case you still need to reset the PRAM it is <command-option-p-r> when booting the machine. Hold the keys until you get a chime and restart.

<command-option-n-d> is the start up key sequence to force the Mac to look for and use non built in drivers. This should in theory anyway force the Mac to skip using the drivers for the built in graphics and load and use the drivers for the Radeon 7000.

The easiest way to work through this is to have a monitor hooked to both the built in display port and to the display port for the Radeon 7000. This way you can use the preference panels to set the monitors to your liking. After you have set the Radeon 7000 as the main monitor and have the monitor on the Radeon 7000 set to a proper resolution, you should be able to disconnect the monitor on the internal graphics and have it start correctly using the Radeon 7000.

bill

mccomber (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:44 am

Looks like hardware issues. I figured I'd install Mac OS 9.1 in order to try some later ATI drivers (and I have a second monitor as you suggested). This time when I click ATI Displays rather than just a beep I get the message that no ATI cards were detected.

While it is possible that the card is bad, I actually have two of them and they are identical. Neither of them work in my 8500. I have tried the upper and middle PCI slots. Haven't tried the bottom one yet, don't know if that makes a difference. And of course I've pressed the CUDO button each time (and held it down for a count).

I got these 7000's off ebay and they were advertised as the Mac version. I punched the product number by itself into Google and came up with hits like this:

http://www.welovemacs.com/10249c0200sa.html

so I can only assume it is indeed the Mac version.

Unfortunately I don't have another Mac to try these cards in and I am at a loss of things to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

mccomber (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Ok, its been over a year but I had another crack at this today and solved it. Googling I came across this site:

http://cubeowner.com/kbase_2/index.php?article=62

and it gave me the idea, what if the two 7000's buddy sent me were NOT Mac ones despite what he thought. So I used the file 62-R7000-ROM-208.sit from the aforementioned site and tried to flash the card (in my 8500). While the flashing software ran without complaint in 7.6.1 it did not flash the card. So I wiped the drive and installed 9.1. Downloaded the flashing software and tried again. This time the card was flashed.

I powered down, connected my monitor to the card and turned on the Mac. Voila! It works! So now I am re-installing 7.6.1 and we'll see how that goes.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:34 am

I recommend upgrading the Radeon 7000 ROM to 2.26 in the August 2005 ROM update which you can find at http://applemacanix.com/drivers.htm

http://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_Mac/ has a lot more information about ATI graphics with Macs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.