Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Performa 6116 and internet (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah, just forget about using any kind of dialup modem. You'll want to get an AAUI transceiver to get your Power Mac onto a wired ethernet network. Hopefully you have some kind of cable or DSL internet connection. If not, get one. It'll benefit you greatly.

Even then, Internet access on your 6100 is only going to be good for a novelty purpose. Mac OS Classic simply can't do much of anything on the modern Internet. If you want to *seriously* use the Internet for anything, you pretty much want a Mac running Mac OS X.

Excalibur (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I'd like to hear how you made out with taking the 6116 online... what you ended up doing and how you liked it.

I have a Performa 6116CD (aka PowerMac 6100) that I use all the time. It's upgraded with a 500MHz G3 (which actually runs at 480MHz in these machines btw), 264MB RAM, HPV video card, 50GB HD and a nice CD burner. I'm actually using it right now to post this. I don't have high-speed internet. I have dialup modems for my old Macs, but I prefer to have them on the network and just dial through my PC.

That's good advice to get a AAUI adapter. Even if you still use dialup like me, you would do better to connect though another computer and save the resources on your 6116. Using a modem always seemed to slow my old Macs down.

As for the OS and browser, I recommend OS 9.1 with your setup and Classilla for the browser. It's still being updated and is currently the best overall browser for classic OS IMO. I've tried using older OSes on this Mac, (like 7.6, 8.1, and 8.6), but I found there were too many features I missed and not any significant improvement in performance. So, I just stuck with OS 9.1 and besides a few minor issues, it works great.

The only issues I've noticed are: you have to use an earlier version of the Startup Disk control panel, such as 8.6 (the one in 9.1 won't work on this Mac), and sometimes the volume control in the Control Strip gets flaky, (but that's probably caused by something else such as Quicktime).

Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 am

Yesterday i connected an AAUI transceiver to my performa 6116 (i got it the previous week for my powerbook 540c). It worked but i guess i have to find a good browser. I have Mac OS 8.1 installed and i used internet explorer version 5 as i can remember but the pages don't appear correctly. But i managed to download 3-4 games from http://www.grenier-du-mac.net/ Smile. Also i used a version of icab but the browser was freezing.

aftermac (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

Unfortunately, browsers that run on classic Mac OS, are not going to give you a good browsing experience. They just don't support the technology used in modern web pages.

Your options are pretty limited... Netscape, Internet Explorer, iCab, Opera, Wanna Be (text-based), and...

http://lowendmac.com/thompson/06/0103.html

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 pm

If you can get yourself up to OS 8.6 and you have at least 64 Mb RAM,
Classilla will run. It is a world of difference from the browsers that run prior to OS 8.6.

BTW. Classilla 9.3 is out today.

Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:01 am

I have installed Mac Os 7.6 & 8.1 so maybe i will try 8.6.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.