Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 6290 msg-switch mtr to 2 colors/2 grays (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  SynctoGreen (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Okay, have my new $40 ebay 6290 Performa working great with my old NEC 21" multisync behemouth along with one of those dip-switch db15-to-vga adaptors. Connected both and the 6290 started up .. happy and in nice color. That was easier than I thought.

But, I have an old program from the 90s that, while works great on old 68030 Mac Plus and Performa 100 system 7 machines that I used to use, when I try to install it on the newer performa 6290, I get this message-

"switch monitor to 2 colors or 2 grays". And the program then stops, won't install.

I've been all through the colorsync settings on the 6290 and see 16 grays as the lowest I can choose ... which doesn't work.

Anyone heard of this message before on old programs or old Macs? Is it a function of the program originally being for 68030 hardware? Or is it picking up that I have the NEC connected etc? The stock video capability in the 6290 isn't what I'd call cutting edge, but I'm not sure where to start tracking down a possible solution.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Two colors is a really weird way of saying black & white. You probably only used this program on a black & white capable Mac before, which you don't have now.

Yes, that's fairly common. Simply use more updated versions of your software.

SynctoGreen (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. Of course, the program was discontinued in the 90s so it's history. It's manual shows it also was okay for LC Macs, so I know they had some sort or provision for color. It may be that the program was only around during the 68030 days and the powerpc etc is the culprit. Dunno. I'm just not up on all the incredibly picky aspects of the older hardware and software that was out .

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:42 am

SynctoGreen wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Of course, the program was discontinued in the 90s so it's history. It's manual shows it also was okay for LC Macs, so I know they had some sort or provision for color. It may be that the program was only around during the 68030 days and the powerpc etc is the culprit. Dunno. I'm just not up on all the incredibly picky aspects of the older hardware and software that was out .

My memory fails as to exactly where it stopped, but I remember that on early versions of system 7, in the monitors control, black and white was an option. Later versions did not come down below gray scale. that is probably why you were able to run it on an LC.

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:11 am

Did you try MiniVMac already?
I am running some very old software with it on my 7100.
As far as I recall, MiniVMac will run Systems 1 to 7.5, so there should be suitable monochrome version for your program available.

SynctoGreen (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

MiniVMac looks like a pretty fun project. I'll try that

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.