Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Math Software (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:29 pm

It's great to see Graphing Calculator getting props from Dan. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other math-related software that runs on 7 that's worth mentioning?

Mathematica version 3.0 runs on 7.6.1 but I'm not sure where or how to best obtain a copy. I'm also not sure what the very latest version that works is, though.

One program I discovered that seems very powerful is CoCoA (no relation to Apple's Cocoa framework.) It's a robust (and free) commutative algebra package, and I can confirm that version 4.0 runs on 7.6.1, but its intended audience is pretty narrow.

Does anyone know about Maple or SPSS or any other heavyweights? What about any less well-known but useful math programs?

hylas (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Graphing Calculator's Story

http://www.pacifict.com/Story/

http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07947

hylas

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:20 am

Well, most of the math software I use should work in System 7...

I've been using Theorist since around 1990 (it was the first app that made me take a closer look at Macs). I have both version 1.0 (68k) and 2.0 (68k and PPC), the current version was renamed LiveMath Maker (and yes, the current version still runs in System 7). My cousin gave me his copy of Theorist 1.0, which was what I used until a few years ago when I came across 2.0 on ebay (for about $35). This is an ad similar to the one that sparked my interest in Theorist (and Macs) when I came across it in a Physics Today magazine back in 1989.

I also use Mathematica 2.2.2, which should run great in System 7. I got my copy on ebay a couple years ago for $50 and found an old Mathematica 2 book in an old book store near campus.

Just a couple months ago I bought a copy of Mathcad PLUS 6 (here) for $40. I haven't had time to explore it very much yet, so I'm not sure how good it is.

I recently came across 3D-XplorMath (download here) which has a remarkable list of topological surfaces it can generate. Again, I haven't had time to play with it much, but it has already impressed me. I've been using it in both Mac OS 8.6 and Mac OS X 10.2 & 10.3. It's a Carbon app so I think the minimum requirement is 8.6.

Another app I've used for quite some time (since 1994 when I was doing research at the NSF Geometry Center) is Geomview. There isn't a Mac version (though I think someone ported it to Mac OS X using X11) so I run it on either my SGI Indy or my ThinkPad running OPENSTEP. There is a Linux version now, so if you have a version of MacX you could run it in System 7 hosted on a connected Linux system. I'm not sure what MacX is going for these days, but I bought version 2.0 new from Apple back in 1999 for $175 (minimum requirements for 2.0 is System 7.5.3 as I recall). MacX 1.x should work with any version of System 7, that version was the one bundled with A/UX 3.x.x (which uses System 7.0.1 for it's Mac environment).

I think that rounds out the most notable math software I have.

Something to keep in mind is that the PowerPC 604e is very fast at floating point operations. One of the reasons Apple didn't discontinue the 8600/9600 series when the first G3 systems were released was because those systems running 604e processors at either 250, 300 or 350 MHz were faster than the top of the line G3 (which was running at 266 MHz) when doing math tasks.

And even though Apple did finally stop selling 604e based systems, IBM continued to sell workstations with single, dual and quad 604e processors at about 375 MHz up to around fall of 2002 (the entry level 604e workstation was running about $8,000 in 2002).

I've benchmarked my 8600/300 with Mathematica 2.2.2 running in Blue Box (Mac OS 8.6) in Rhapsody (Mac OS X Server 1.2) and put up the results here. The other systems' results came from this page.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:52 pm

I actually own a boxed copy of Mathematica, but its a really old version 1.2 or something and I never used it. My High School gave it to me the year I graduated, and all Mac stuff had to go. That was in 2003. It's been sitting at the bottom of a drawer ever since.

Welcome to S7T RacerX, I see you finally joined. I look forward to future well-written and detailed posts from you.

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:11 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

I actually own a boxed copy of Mathematica, but its a really old version 1.2 or something and I never used it. My High School gave it to me the year I graduated, and all Mac stuff had to go. That was in 2003. It's been sitting at the bottom of a drawer ever since.

There are draw backs to using pre-3.0 versions of Mathematica... topping the list is that they changed the file format with version 3.0. I get around this by using Wolfram's MathReader 4.2 (which is a Carbon app... I'll see if I can find a version of MathReader for System 7).

dpaanlka wrote:

Welcome to S7T RacerX, I see you finally joined. I look forward to future well-written and detailed posts from you.

Thanks! Very Happy

A little off topic... I've been hunting down some nice (free) software that will run in System 7 for you. We'll need to contact the developers, but some nice candidates are
    Softpress Freeway 1.0.1
    Strata Videoshop 3.0
    Strata Vision 3D 4.0
Also I noticed that this copy of PageMill 2.0 is beyond reasonably priced (99). Shocked

And if I find a copy of MathReader 3.0, I'm sure that Wolfram would give you permission to provide it on your site.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:28 pm

RacerX wrote:

A little off topic... I've been hunting down some nice (free) software that will run in System 7 for you. We'll need to contact the developers, but some nice candidates are
    Softpress Freeway 1.0.1
    Strata Videoshop 3.0
    Strata Vision 3D 4.0

Those are all very good candidates. I think the most pressing software title that falls into that category, though, is SpeedDoubler 8. I really want to put SpeedDoubler 8 up for download, as it's 68k emulation boost is pretty much necessary to make the best use of System 7. I do not know how to get around the fact that Connectix doesn't exist, or who to contact about it.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.