Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Partitioner (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  theos911 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:14 pm

I recently obtained a Powerbook 2300c with 7.5.2 and a LOT of crap on it(30$). I also got a not-functioning duo dock plus with it. I opened the dock and now found the lousy psu connector. I don't have a keyboard, so I am simply using the powerbook's keyboard with it docked since I have the lid off anyway.

ANYWAY, I took the time to transfer 19 floppies back and forth between my xp machine and it. I now have 7.5.3 on a 1.8 gb partiton on the internal 4gb of the dock. I backed up the Powerbook's internal drive to that same location. I was wondering if someone could point in the right direction for a partitioner? I'm looking to have a partiton for 7.5.3 and either 8.6 or 9.1 when I get the abilities to use a cd-rom with it. I know it will be slow, but it is the only way to get wifi into this older book.

tl;dr version Good partitioner for 7.5.3?

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Er..., as far as I know (unless you have WOZ-like electronics abilities and lots of money to spend on entirely new technologies), WiFi is not going to work in a 2300c, no matter what system software is installed. The limitation is the hardware: you are dealing with Nubus slots and Nubus architecture, not PCI, and with no PCMCIA either. The most you could do is connect to a hub and then to a wireless router from your Dock, but that is really just a wired connection.

A 2300c has localtalk networking built in, and a very slow software modem from the mid-90s. A DuoDock II can take, at best, a 10/100 Nubus ethernet card (and they are rare). The built-in ethernet will be 10BT.

Apple's Disk Utility does, however, allow you to partition the drive (before installing the system). System 9 would not run acceptably on a 2300c; don't go there. 8.5.1 runs tolerably well with lots of RAM and lots of extensions turned off (I have done this and it is surprisingly usuable), so I wouldn't go higher than 8.6 at the very most. For maximum speed, however, an earlier system would be much better, and as you aren't going to get WIFI running no matter what you do, you don't need anything more.

theos911 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:56 am

/explodes
I was informed it did have a PCMCIA, now I'm ticked. I don't have a torx handy, waiting for one from ebay, or I would have checked already.

I guess I'm back to minidock and then HDI-30 to scsi, scsi-usb and a dongle. Assuming that qill even work, I now need to find an 8.6 compatible dongle.

Also, is the ram ceiling in these 54 or 64, different sites have said both. Mine has 40mb RAM atm.

Lastly, anyway to partition the internal hd of the powerbook while it is docked?

theos911 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:11 am

Ok, there are no 8.6 compatible usb dongles. There are what I could find that were usb and 9.x . I'm going to wait on some advice about my minidock to HDI-30, HDI-30 to scsi and scsi to usb idea before I buy anything. I'm glad I posted hear and didn't buy a xircom card with no PCMCIA.

Asante 802.11b AL2001 USB Amtel 9, 10.2-10.4
Belkin 802.11b F5D6050 USB Amtel 9, 10.2-10.4
Buffalo 802.11b WLIPCML11G USB (?) Orinoco 9, 10.2-10.4
Macsense 802.11b WUA-400 USB Prism2/2.5/3 9-up
Macsense 802.11b WUA-700 USB Prism2/2.5/3 9-up
Netgear 802.11b MA101 USB Amtel 9, 10.2-10.4
Proxim 802.11b PN474(Skyline USB) USB Amtel 9

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Now that you put it this way, it seems to me that it might be possible, though it's never going to be portable.

I wouldn't know how to do it myself. However, I seem to recall that somebody over on 68kmla recently posted re. getting wireless working via the scsi port of an old machine and various adapters (SCSI-USB, USB-wireless?) pugged into it. You could check there and see what the setup was; it is possible that you might get it to work through the DuoDock, which has SCSI after all.

Definitely no PCMCIA, though.

theos911 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Well, the minidock is rather portable. Hopefully the adapter won't be too huge, and usb adapters can just be taped/velcroed to the top of the laptop. I also figured out what was srewing my duodock plus over.The ejecting mechanism, which hadn't worked since I bought it, was shorting over the motor. I removed the part with the pins and motor that got so hot you couldn't touch it, and VOILA; no more complicated "Today I'm going to boot, but tomorrow I won't"

I will definitely look into that thread.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.