Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: mounting .dc42 files? (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:04 am

lostprocess wrote:

dpaanlka wrote:

Why wouldn't Disk Copy 6 open this?

It should be able to. The Disk Copy 6 Quick Reference suggests that it can, but I haven't been able to test it.

I tried it with Disk Copy 6 & Disk Copy 4.2, to no avail.

When I click on "load image file..." and browse to the directory in which the .dc42 file is located, I can't select it, because only subdirectories are shown (the .dc42 file isn't even displayed on the file selector menu).

I don't have mac os x in order to use the utility decribed and transform it into a more modern image file.

I only have os 7.6 & 8.6.

What can I do?

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:29 pm

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the Type/Creator code of the file is borked. My recommendation would be to download ResEdit -- from the File menu select Get File/Folder Info, navigate to the image and select Get Info. On the window that comes up, make sure the Type is "dImg" (case-sensitive) and the Creator is "dCpy" (also case-sensitive). Close the window and save changes. If these weren't correct before, Disk Copy should see your disk image now. Hope it works!

ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 am

lostprocess wrote:

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the Type/Creator code of the file is borked. My recommendation would be to download ResEdit -- from the File menu select Get File/Folder Info, navigate to the image and select Get Info. On the window that comes up, make sure the Type is "dImg" (case-sensitive) and the Creator is "dCpy" (also case-sensitive). Close the window and save changes. If these weren't correct before, Disk Copy should see your disk image now. Hope it works!

OK, I will try that.

While we're on the subject - what would be the correct values for .dsk images?

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:41 pm

ido wrote:

While we're on the subject - what would be the correct values for .dsk images?

A .dsk should be a type of 'DSK5' (or try 'dsk5') with the creator of whatever application you're using to open them. For Disk Copy that'll be 'dCpy' but I don't know offhand if Disk Copy can handle them, they're really old. From Googling around I see that some Apple II emulators support them (Bernie IIgs) -- but I'm not sure about mounting it under 7.

What is on these old disks, anyway?

ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 pm

lostprocess wrote:

What is on these old disks, anyway?

The .dsk one is an installation of os 7.5 with a couple of hunderet megabytes of old software (which I would like to use).

The .dc42 is speed doubler 8.

BTW there is a windows software called gemexplorer that can mount .dsk files, and I've managed to browes my .dsk file with it. If there exists a windows app that does that - there must be a macintosh one as well.

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:18 pm

I think this will do the trick, but I haven't tested it:

ImageConverter

Let me know how it goes!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.