Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Fastest SCSI CD-ROM or CD-RW Drive? (Page 1 of 1)
  blackangel (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:14 am

Hi,

would anyone know of a really fast SCSI CD-ROM or CDRW Drive?

I have a 7200 and recently got myself a ATTO UL2D SCSI controller. Placed 2 Seagates 300GB 15.6 Krpms in and bam the thing flies. Only If the origianl 4X CDROm can be updated.

Can anone help us out, I have one SCSI bus open as the UL2D is two channels. Currently the CDROM is in a 50pin config and don't mind if I change it to 68pin.

Also, is there any software that burns CD under 7.5.x?

cheers

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 am

Sentences making noises about a 'fast 7200' are very rare, so this caught my attention. Really?

But to try to answer your questions:

24x 50-pin SCSI CD drives shipped in the last of the PCI Macs (the 604ev 9600 and 8600), and so can be found (though not that easily). They are great drives. There are similar spec'd 50-pin SCSI CDRW drives still in circulation. I have never seen a 68-pin optical drive, but they must exist.

As for software, Toast, somewhere around version 3 as I recall, would be the thing to look for. Works fine even under MacOS 7.1, though it would make sense to source a burner from the mid-90s or shortly after so that you could be reasonably sure that the software would work with it.

You'd find a huge difference with just a 12x CD ROM drive installed, by the way —and they are commonplace. I popped one in a Quadra recently and couldn't believe the difference it made.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 am

Yamaha made an 8424 SCSI burner. It is the fastest I have seen or used. The Yamaha drive however will not work as a boot drive, so you would need to keep and Apple ROMed drive to boot the system from a CD.

Toast 4 works well with System 7 and it can be found right here on the System 7 Today website. Check in the Utility section of Software Guide.

bill

blackangel (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks for that,

just want to see if Toast 5 works. I currently have Toast 5 Deluxe but it requires carbonlib to function. As I bought an external Yamaha CDRW which came with the software, and is running off my MDD on the UL3D/UL4D.

Seeing I have a MDD running 9.2.2, can I just place the Extensions from the G4 to the 7200? The Yamaha currently can only be read from the UL3D and UL4D (under X) ... I usually switch connections when swapping between OS on the G4. ULD4 for X whereas UL3D for 9. The UL3D even working under 7.5.2... wow!!! might get myself another card... fairly cheap, the UL3D I got from a film firm here in Melbourne for $30 AUD... nice, included everything from cables + software in original packaging. Should have asked if they had another one... UL4D on the other hand was bought recently from ATTO for $350.

The 7200 is just an experiment, if it will work, its intent is to be a fairly reasonable web/email server. Not expecting large hits/min but decent enough to do some FileMakerPro 4/5 DBs. Its currently not doing anything grand, and it can be at least used for this, I guess... no point having another door stop

cheers

Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:39 pm

recently i replaced my apple 4x cd rom drive with 24x cd rom drive from my performa 6116. The apple 24x is very nice and fast

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.