Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Finding Mobile sites - new to me (Page 1 of 1)
  Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:43 am

I am always looking for better ways to browse using older browsers. Many of the large sites also have a mobile verson, but if you crash and burn going to the main site, how do you get to click on the mobile button?

Others probably already know this but it was new to me.

Having trouble with http://www.boinboing.net

Try http://m.boingboing.net instead.

Soentimes it bring you right onto the mobile site and other times it gives you a redirect to their mobile site.

I like going to CTV (a canadian television network site), the Toronto Sun and to BoingBoing. For various reasons all three sites just bog on older machines. Their moible sites on the other hand are quite useable.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am

I do not have any experience with this. Perhaps if you set your set your browser identification string to that of a mobile browser they would send the mobile version of the site.

bill

Dave (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Another benefit to mobile sites, not often mentioned, is lack of advertising. The "modern" web is largely a series of annoying ads, mostly in flash, that heat up me ibook G4 and make my want to toss it across the room. By using mobile sites (in Classilla in classic mode mostly) like the bbc, nytimes and gmail I get the news and connectivity I want without the advertising bombardment.

Mobile youtube perplexes me though. Its a 3gp file that quicktime won't play. I suppose I could try real player, but that was the flash of the 90's, I get post traumatic stress remembering all the nightmare conflict and hassle realplayer caused me on my imac G3. If anyone has a convenient solution please let me know

128 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 am

wove wrote:

I do not have any experience with this. Perhaps if you set your set your browser identification string to that of a mobile browser they would send the mobile version of the site.

bill

You can do that in Classilla, but it won't run on 7.6.

Even there, there are some sites that I use normally and do not need mobile. Mobile is pretty much a stripped down listing in many cases where much clicking is required to go from here to there. So it is nice to have a way to find them and then bookmark them separately.

Examples:

I run this site, ehMac.ca and Craigslist full. The Toronto Sun and CTV are much better on mobile. Boingboing on an older machine is a must on mobile.

The one I have not found a satisfactory answer for is Digg.com. that one seems to want a newer machine or it is glacially slow.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:16 pm

You had done the editing on the Netscape Config file sometime back and I would have thought the user agent would have been part of that file.

On Cyberdog and IE you need to use resedit. The user agent is located in a string resource.

I do not know the system requirements of Opera 5, but it is about the oldest Mac browser I know of that allows one to use their own style sheet, which would allow you to change to formatting to better suit you.

I am not very familiar with iCab, but I think was an early browser to allow for user style sheets.

I wonder what would happen if you set your monitor size to something that would be in keeping with a mobile browser. Using the Monitors panel you could set your screen size to say a Mac SE and see if that would trigger a mobile display in the browser.

bill

128 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 pm

wove wrote:

You had done the editing on the Netscape Config file sometime back and I would have thought the user agent would have been part of that file....snip
bill

You could assign user agent in the about:config file. The problem with Netscape Communicator is that the only way to edit it is with a User file that is read into the system. You would then be locked into that mobile user agent for all sites until you went through reading another file in.

If I just bookmark the mobile sites as I find them, I can have it both ways.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.