Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 10 Base Ethernet (Page 1 of 1)
  ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:31 am

Hi all,
since my Umax C600 mac clone is missing an ethernet card, I was thinking about getting one on the cheap (one that must work with os 7.6 of course).

Then today I've stubled upon this: http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAP.....T&rd=1

It's a 10 base ethernet card (for 1 euro atm, and in the city I live in, so no sending costs), but I don't mind much because that's fast enough for my umax (it isn't my main machine & it wouldn't do a whole lot other then basic internet serfing & mp3 palying).

The question is so: can I connect it to my router (connected to other PCs in 100 base-T) using normal cat5e cable?

I remember something about the whole network being slowed down to 10 base T if there is at least one of them present, is that true? and will it happen only when the mac is on & connected? i.e. when I turn it off or plug out its ethernet cable will the network go back to 100Base-T?

Thanks in advance,
Ido.

momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:24 pm

That card has both BNC (10 Base 2) and RJ45 (10 Base T // Cat. 5 cable). The seller seems to claim compatibility with Mac OS, so it should work with your configuration.

You can connect to your actual network, but without additional equipment (a switch if I recall?) you'll slow everything down to 10 Mbits/s instead of 100 Mbits/s with that card...

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 pm

nope...on regular wired ethernet, clients can co-exist with differing speeds, since you have a router.

5e is good enough for 100, so fine for 10.

In fact cat 3 is the standard for 10mbit.

b

momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:41 am

OOps... Sorry, you're right: I forgot the router Embarassed

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah the old BNC/10bT cards work fine. I chose to go with the RealTek cards, which work great as well. *ANY* of the 8139x series works with the driver, but I believe I have only tried the C and D subtypes.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.