Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7.5x on a Performa 6400 (Page 1 of 1)
  thehackercat (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Hey there,
I have a PowerPC-equipped Performa 6400. I want to start it up, but I get an error message that says something like "This system folder is too old for this Mac". I haven't touched the thing since I last powered it down some 10 years ago, and it worked fine then!

I don't want to lose all the stuff on my old hard drive, but it looks like I'm going to have to re-install the Mac OS.

I can only find OS 7.5 as /19 separate image files/! Is there any disk image out there that can be burnt to a CD-R? I have an old tray-loading iMac that can do the job.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 am

The Performa 6400 originally shipped with System 7.5.3 and an enabler. Most likely unless you have the origianl system CD, you will need to find a copy of OS 7.6 or greater in order to boot the 6400.

bill

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm

If you really did not touch your disk all the time and it was in good working condition back then, you might try a copy of Norton Utilities for booting and repairing your Macīs IDE disk.
You might look for a small (10GB) pATA disk too, as long as they are still available.
Replacing the battery after all those years, might be helpful too.
Some useful CD images can be found at macintoshgarden.org
Best wishes!

thehackercat (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm just coming around to say that the problem was actually with the HDD (a 1.6GB Quantum TM). Something about a "bad sibling link" - I'm going to assume that's a file system problem. So I've ordered a 2GB Quantum TM (It even comes with the drive sled!) and I'll install it, format it, and install the Mac OS on it when it arrives in the next couple of days.

Maybe when I get this computer working, I can actually participate in this community!

Thanks for the advice last year,
-thehackercat

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.