Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7 compatible eMail provider? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:59 am

Hey everyone,

I'm getting my System 7 box up and running again. I'll probably keep it off the web but I'd like to use it as an e-mail machine. Just for fun. One problem I ran into is that all my my e-mail providers (googlemail, yahoo, ..) won't cooperate with any System 7 mail client, since they can't do this authentication or don't support that setting...

Thus, short question: Anyone knowing a good free e-mail service that'll work on a System 7 Mac?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 am

MythTech created a free application called Baton Mail which adds authentication services through the system. This allows several older email clients to access mail services requiring authentication.

I have found the program to be very helpful. I will say that I have had some difficulty in getting it set up initially, but once configured and running it has worked flawlessly.

bill

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look into it, though I find it hard to believe there is no e-mail provider left for us "low end" people out there? :-/

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:03 am

Chefsessel wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look into it, though I find it hard to believe there is no e-mail provider left for us "low end" people out there? :-/

If you go to a POP account, you have lots of choice from Netscape Communicator through to Eudora.

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 am

Does anyone know of a free *webmail* service compatible with system 7?
I have used Yahoo Mail for years, but a few months ago it stopped working with Netscape (4.Cool. Unfortunately I now have to use OS8.6/Classilla to read it.

I can still use the mail client in Netscape for my Btinternet mail.

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 am

Ok, so if I want to use a client for POP mail what would be a good e-mail provider? Any suggestions?

I found out that e.g. googlemail won't cooperate with older clients. (Gmail requires SSL authentication for both POP and STMP connections, which many older clients don't do)

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.