Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7 compatible eMail provider? (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  hgradeca (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:17 am

Hi!
I am trying to setup Outlook Express to work with MobileMe, and although imap works just fine, I just couldn't get the smtp to work...Sad
I followed these directions:
http://email.about.com/od/acce.....ttings.htm
but it didn't help...

Gmail works fine, both imap and smtp, but since I upgraded to MobileMe recently, I would really like to use it on my Power Mac 6500. Smile

Thanks for any advice!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:50 am

I mentioned Baton Mail in an earlier post in this thread. It provides authentication services for many older email clients. I use Baton Mail in conjunction with CyberDog to check my MobileMe mail account.

Sadly MobileMe is being discontinued by Apple. But it will remain for another year. I signed up for iTools with OS 9 and have used the service since that time. It was never very popular, however I have found it very useful.

I am not sure where one would find the old iTools software, but if you find it and install it you can access your iDisk. I think it works with both OS 9 and OS 8.6, however I do not think it will work with 7.6. Goliath is a webdav client that works with MacOS 8.1 and provides access to the MobileMe idisk.

bill

hgradeca (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Thank you a lot, it works flawlessly! SmileSmileSmile
I have read your previous post, but I hoped that there is another solution to that problem... But this one should be fine. Smile

And regarding MobileMe - I am sad that it will be shut down, but since iCloud is going to replace it, I am actually looking forward to all new features that we are going to get. Smile
Just hope that I will still be able to send emails from my old Mac. Smile

Thank you a lot for the iDisk suggestion, I will definitively look into it. Smile

Another question about MobileMe on OS9 - Outlook Express does not load any folders besides Inbox... :/ It seems that Apple uses some strange protocols here, because gmail works fine...
Do you have any other email client to suggest for me to try?

Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it a lot. Smile

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:45 am

ovalking wrote:

Does anyone know of a free *webmail* service compatible with system 7?
I have used Yahoo Mail for years, but a few months ago it stopped working with Netscape (4.Cool

I discovered by accident, that Yahoo Mail can still be used... it's all in the URL.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-mail works fine with Netscape 4.8 and IE5.1.7, neither of which work with conventional Yahoo.

As a bonus, the pages are much simpler and load considerably quicker.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.