Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Help: formating hfs+ drives using os 7.6 drive setup (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi,
I have a SCSI HDD that held os 8.6 until recently, and I wanted to now partition it & format as hfs & install os 7.6 on it.

The problem is - I can't partition it with the drive setup program that comes with os 7.6- it says the drive is not supported.

How can I partition this drive?

Also, it is a 4GB drive and the mac os 7.6 installer sees only 2GB.

Thanks in advance,
Ido.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:23 pm

You cannot initialize an HFS+ partition, you have to repartiion the drive first. Mac OS 7 cannot read HFS+ drives (this wasn't a feature until Mac OS 8.1).

Installers on classic Mac OS always only see 2gb - it has no effect on the installations.

momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:31 pm

Apart from the HFS+ / 2Gb HFS limit, Drive Setup not recognizing the drive makes me thinking that maybe your disk isn't Apple branded.
In that case you should use the appropriate software driver that came with the it. If you do not have it, I would suggest Hard Disk Toolkit from FWB, or Silverlining (used by some LaCie drives if I recall correctly).

ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:33 pm

momo wrote:

Apart from the HFS+ / 2Gb HFS limit, Drive Setup not recognizing the drive makes me thinking that maybe your disk isn't Apple branded.

You are right, I think my drive is not apple branded.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:32 pm

It really shouldn't matter what brand your hard drive is. This only applies if it is an external SCSI drive.

When you go into drive setup, you have to do change your initialization settings to repartion the drive in addition to initializing it. You need to set it to repartition the drive as a single Macintosh format drive, which means HFS Standard.

ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:10 am

dpaanlka wrote:

When you go into drive setup, you have to do change your initialization settings to repartion the drive in addition to initializing it. You need to set it to repartition the drive as a single Macintosh format drive, which means HFS Standard.

The OS 7.6 finder(not the drive setup program) sees the drive correctly as a 4GB drive and it is full functional as a one 4GB partition.

The OS 7.6 drive setup can't do anything with the drive (says it isn't supported).

When I use the OS 8 drive setup program, I can initialize and partition it, but for some reason it only see the drive as 16mb big.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.