Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Your worst computer problem? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  victoral (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:21 pm

I just liked to know the kinds of problems people face with their computers. It could me anything.

I'll start it off.

One time I was cleaning up my home office when I decided to clean the inside of my power mac g4 as well. Once I opened it up. I took off the RAM, CPU, graphics card etc.

While I was passing the dry cloth through the motherboard, my hand slipped and broke one of the capacitors. Then when I tried to turn it on there was nothing on the screen. I was devastated, but I then bought a new motherboard. It's fine now, but I'll never clean my computer like that again.

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 am

I've been pretty lucky with my Macs so far, never had much of a problem. Years ago in my PowerMac G3 Blue & White a RAM module died. It would keep freezing up, so I had to pull out all the memory and put it in again, one at a time until I found the bad RAM module and replaced it.

Other than that, there was an unfortunate accident involving a keyboard and a cup of coffee. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that.. Very Happy

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:04 am

Depends how you measure worst....

The flat PRAM battery problem on my P475 is most annoying because it happens so often and the machine is unusable when it goes flat. Poor design.

The loss of a hard disk can be the worst when data is lost. Fortunately (?) it's happened enough for me to have a reasonable back-up regime in place now!

But intermittent problems are the worst for tearing your hair out. The failure of the video extender part of an 8100 G3 upgrade was particularly hard work to track down.

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:57 am

It seems to me loosing your data is worst.
This has been happening to me occasionally over the last decades, beginning with a dead 40MB RLL drive in my Amiga.
I finally learned not only to have backups but redundant operating systems if possible.

The most annoying failure I recall was a PPC7500 freezing every twenty minutes or so. RAMs and CPU card were exchanged one after the other, but the reason for crashing remained a mistery.

PB540fanatic (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:30 am

I lost loads of programs to an Amiga virus back in 1997. My Dpaint 2 and 3 disks where toast Sad. Finaly found a virus scanner on a cover disk and got rid of it one disk at a time. Besides that a 320Gb HDD packed in a few years ago.

victoral (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Wow! Seams that a lot of you used to have Amigas. I personally have never seen an Amiga in person. Nor was I around the time they were big! But I can tell that they were really great machines.

Anyways thanks for responding to this thread. I've got another problem you might relate to. One time my Power Supply failed and I had to get a new one. It was tough because they don't make that model anymore, so I had to buy a refurbished model.

Other than that, I can say I've lost data, but I was lucky enough to have backups.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.