Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Best way to improve a PowerMac 7200/90 ? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi all,

after I saw my LC III dieing some time ago I feel I really need to get back into the System 7 Macintosh era. I'll be getting my hands on a used but refurbished PowerMac 7200/90 later this week. I don't know all the specifics yet but from what I heard it'll come pretty much in basic setup, apart from the memory upgrade to 128 MB RAM.

I'm wondering now about the best upgrade path? I intend to use it solely with 7.6 and while faster is better, I don't want to lose compatibility with old games & applications.

So...what are my best upgrade options? I welcome any suggestions Smile

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Cheap way to add crazy power:

http://store1.sonnettech.com/p.....cts_id=236

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 am

Looks awesome. 500 Mhz G3. It should even be able to handle OSX?

But how does 7.6 operate with it? Are there any software incompatibilities with the card? (thinking especially of games)

Also, is there a "switch" to deactivate the card or would I have to pull it out every time?

Saw there is L2 cache for sale for the 7200. Up to 1 MB. Is this is an advisable investment?

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 am

Chefsessel wrote:

Looks awesome. 500 Mhz G3. It should even be able to handle OSX?

But how does 7.6 operate with it? Are there any software incompatibilities with the card? (thinking especially of games)

Also, is there a "switch" to deactivate the card or would I have to pull it out every time?

Saw there is L2 cache for sale for the 7200. Up to 1 MB. Is this is an advisable investment?

1. It would probably handle up to OSX 10.4.11 with the use of XPostfacto. Handle with care ... You can pooch your system. You would have to upgrade your RAM. But it will take 512 Mb.

2. Can't speak to this particular accelerator, but I have Sonnets for my PB 1400 and my 7100. Both handle 7.6.1 just fine. The sonnet driver is a universal driver for all but one model (I forget which one now). Games are always problematic as they play the bleeding edge of the system to milk performance. You can turn the card off in extensions I believe. I can't remember if this one is a CPU total replacement or one that goes in through the back door bypassing the existing processor.

3. The accelerator is only asking $29.00 or so. It comes with a 1 Mb L2 cache. I believe that this accelerator was a $200.00+ item at one time. The current price for new does not get any better.

4. Another upgrade would be a modern sized hard drive. I am sure that there are other suppliers, but AfterTheMac.com sells a 50 Gb SCSI drive that would fit in that machine I believe. I have one in my 7100.

5. To give you an indication of the type of speed boost you can expect, it is my experience that OS 7 or 8 will run about 2.5 times as fast as OSX on the same processor. So a 500 MHz G3 running OS 7 or 8 will run for most things similarly to a 1.25 GHz G3/4 running OS X. So with upgrades to memory, processor and hard drive, it becomes a fully useable system for many day to day things, especially if you take advantage of the software here Smile

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:54 am

Forget about Mac OS X. While it Mac OS X does indeed run on late model G3s, there's a lot more to getting it working on old pre-G3 systems, which it never even does well even with the best hacking efforts. There's more to it than a processor swap.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

Forget about Mac OS X. While it Mac OS X does indeed run on late model G3s, there's a lot more to getting it working on old pre-G3 systems, which it never even does well even with the best hacking efforts. There's more to it than a processor swap.

Actually one of the worst machines to try to run XPostFacto on is a Beige G3. It shouldn't be, but it is.

That being said, in all cases:

1. There are cases of failed installations where the machine has gone dormant, never to revive.

2. To get it to run is a first step, but you have to keep it running. And, if you change your mind, getting rid of the hacks that put it in place and going back to the original is another story entirely.

3. All of the difficulties doing it are just compounded by having an acellerator - But it isn't worth doing it without the acellerator - Catch 22

Listen to Wise dpaanlka

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.