Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Best way to improve a PowerMac 7200/90 ? (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:09 am

Alright, no OSX then. Not that I would really want to use it anyway (I have my lovely PowerMac G5) but it would have been nice to simply try it out.

I'm a bit undecided regarding the processor upgrade card though. While it would sure cool to get more power, it might not be a good idea regarding the fact that I want to use that 7200 mostly for recreation (games, light e-mailing).

What about the additional L2 cache? Is it advisable to upgrade, thus will there be a remarkable performance increase or not?

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:19 am

Okay, forget about that L2 Cache question. I got the 7200 today. And it turns out that it actually is a 7100/66 Very Happy Man, Apple really did right to abandon those numbers, too confusing for people.

Anyway, I just hooked it up to an LCD monitor that I got and it gives a really crisp & nice picture. It has a 1 GB hard disk, 48 MB RAM and OS 8.5 running on it. Yeah, right. That 8.5 seems a bit overkill for it, though on a first glance it seems to handle it well.

I also noticed it has what appears to be a graphics card. I'll have to check. So far tried the floppy and it works fine (amazing, this thing is 16 years old!) and the CD-ROM which doesn't like to mount any disc. Neither originals nor burned CD-Rs, this could prove to be a serious threat to my plans of installing 7.6 tonight.

Oh and if I'd like to hook it up via ethernet, what kind of adapter will I need? I saw that it has a port for ethernet, it's just some very old standard it seems?

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Hello,
at least you got a PPC, a 7100 is not too bad, Smile many old Nubus cards can be used.

You will need a AAUI-15 dongle to plug in a Cat5 cable.

Sorry to hear about the CD ROM, but 7.6 could be installed from floppies too.
In case you own a second hard drive, you might also mount the CD image with this http://macintoshgarden.org/app.....cd-utility and install to it.

Most 7100 Macs were shipped "standard" with either an AV or high performance video (or HPV) card. If you happen to have two SVHS ports on the card, it should be an AV.

If you consider this:
http://www.sonnettech.com/prod.....nubus.html
Would you eventually buy the two available items for me
and mail them to my place in Europe?
I would pay for the hardware and the shipping in advance, of course.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.