Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Programmers who know old code (Page 1 of 1)
  SynctoGreen (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Where does one find programmers who still understand or can modify old program code on non-copyrighted ancient Mac abandondware from the system 6-7 days?

I have a floppy with an old, small program that was basically a gui for an external old/obsolete/longgone/history sound interface. Designed for system 6 and 7. Runs great on my Mac Plus or oldest b&w Performa. Gives a "use 2-color" error on anything newer, such as performa 6290 and then refuses to continue startup.

I've been all through the 6290 options and there's no way to set late 90s Macs like the 6290 to only act as 2-color or whatever. Believe me, I've tried everywhere and everything.

It would be cool to have this gui program come up in color on the 6290. But I'll settle for b&w.

For now though, it just won't load at all on the powerpc Performa. The kicker is that I also have a smaller "demo" version of the program from those days and that loads up fine on the Performa 6290, albeit, it's b&w.

So, I figure, maybe the coding is simple to modify to get around that error. Sorry if I'm showing the ignorance in what is involved in decompiling old code.. but there you go. Like I say, all this was is basically a gui for editing the external hardware settings at the Mac screen itself.

I contacted the company that used to make this 1980s hardware and gui software to ask if they still had people around from those days to modify or give me tips on what to do. In this age of going to Mars, they just laughed and said "good luck.. we don't even remember how we did that program... have fun.. if you get it working, don't bother letting us know.. toodaloo".

Any tips on where the old gurus are now who like to fiddle around with sofware like this? Otherwise, I'm stuck keeping the Mac Plus living if I want to keep using this ancient hardware.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:24 pm

If all the application requires is a black and white resolution then you need to run an OS older than OS 9, maybe OS 8.6. OS 7.6 has an option to run in two color mode (black and white). The setting for this should be found in the "Monitors" Control Panel.

PPC machines only run in 32bit mode. I believe there were a number of old system 6 era applications than would not work in 32 bit mode, and perhaps this is one. Also Apple changed sound chips over time. If the application is talking directly to the sound chips, it might be limited to hardware that has those sound chips.

I wish you well. There appears to be some minimal continuing work done done with OS 9, but I am unaware of anyone doing anything for even earlier OSes.

bill

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:50 am

Hello,
I would like to confirm that Systems 7.5.5 to 9.0.4 can be set to monochrome.
This is true for emulation as well as for my 7100/80.
9.2.2 may be a different story, e.g. my iMac cant have b/w.
Still there should be some hope for your app, if monochrome is the only issue.

Good luck!

SynctoGreen (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Guess I'll do a system 7 install to see what happens. The ebay guy I bought this 6290 from had loaded os9 on it and also included practically everything earlier including system 7 disks and data cd full of stuff.

The machine itself is in really great shape and I have it powering an old massive NEC 21' monitor. Other than that, the thing has been sitting idle for 8 months while I tried to figure out the b&w solution.

Do you uppose I can just pop out the 6gb internal ide hard drive and slap in another ide to do a test system 7 install? I have quite a few empty ide drives around although they're massively larger than 6gb. I don't know if system 7 will care.

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:53 am

My "biggest" Mac IDE is 10GB and my biggest SCSI is 9GB.
Most IDE drives should work with your setup,
if you are using a third party low level formatter.
7.1 is said to handle dirves up to 2GB only.

Could it be your NEC monitor and its adapter causes the problem?
I know there is some signaling done on the Macs DB15 video port.
Can you try with an old Mac (monochrome) CRT?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.