Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Mozilla for system 7 (Page 1 of 1)
  JuEeHa (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:52 am

Does any version of mozilla work with system 7.5(and in best situation 7.1)? If not is there any open source graphical web browser for system 7?

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:35 am

Classilla is (and will not be) available for System 7. At least that is what the programer, Cameron Kaiser, stated a while ago. To the best of my knowledge, there is also no open source browser in development - the closest to what you are looking for would be an old version of Netscape. I think version 4.8 is the last one that should run on System 7...

JuEeHa (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Idea was to make a project like classilla but for system 7 instead of os 9, so open source is must. But if there is not any I should start from the beginning and write my own. Smile

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Sounds great. I think you should get in touch with Cameron Kaiser and talk about your plans. He has great experience in programming Classilla for OS 8.6 - 9.2.2 and TenFourFox (for 10.4 Tiger). He might give you some good advice and hints.

http://www.classilla.org

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

It really isn't going to happen. That Classilla guy isn't building current Mozilla for OS 9, he's simply tweaking the old Mac OS 9/8.6 builds that Mozilla was already producing at the time to sortof render more reliably and to modern-ish standards. It would be an entirely different undertaking to make it run under System 7, probably requiring a team of dedicated developers and actual funding.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.