Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Widescreen Radeon (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  lordpenguin (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:10 am

Ok, so I have been narrowing my sights in on a computer for creative writing purposes. Of course I could use anything under the sun for that, but i get distracted easily. That said, I have been looking for a machine that will allow me to do this on a nice new monitor and be distraction free. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 9600 on eBay for next to nothing. I can only assume that a Radeon 7000 PCI is what will take me there... Would anyone like to experience thier experiences with 7.6.1 on a widescreen monitor?

Thanks!

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello,
I never managed to have my PowerMac display widescreen resolutions. This seems to be a common issue:
http://macosx.com/forums/howto.....nitor.html

On the other hand, SheepShaver, emulating a PPC604 machine can be set to any desired resolution at will.
I have 7.6 running in fullscreen 1680x1050 but thats certainly due to SheepShaver´s patching ROM, video and a lot more.

lordpenguin (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks for the reply! I am not sure this applies to me though. I won't be in a dual-boot environment and I won't be using OS 9. I am curious, specifically, what widescreen resolutions are supported so that I can buy a display accordingly.

Thanks.

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 am

The PM 9600´s TwinTurbo 128, 8MB from Integrated Micro Solutions is said to support resolutions to 1280 x 1024 at 24 bits and up to 1600 x 1200 at maybe 16 bit.
I doubt 7.6 (or Classic) will support wide screen resolutions at all, but tere may be some tweaks or third party drivers.
As long as you do not have a widescreen driver, I would rather go for the last NEC displays with pivot option like this one:
http://www.reichelt.de/TFT-Dis.....5057684e23
Good luck!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Dan our site owner worked on creating a Resolution Manager. This might work to select a resolution for your monitor. As I understand this will allow you to select unsupported resolutions that might cause damage to your video system. So it needs to be used with some caution.

bill

lordpenguin (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I think this answer my question pretty well. I was shopping on eBay for 4:3 displays and found that they are very cheap now. I don't need any fancy features, so now I am on the hunt for a 19inch 1280x1024 monitor with a matte LCD. It looks like Dell made ALOT of these for the business market, and they go for around $40 on eBay!

Even though I am praying it safe here, don't hesitate to share anything you know about widescreen displays here.

Thanks alot.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.